Untitled Part 10

'My father Claire, thought he was invincible and for a long time i think he may  have  been but he counted on loyalty more than anything; he believed imprinting fear was the only way to dictate; he used me as a gift, as a spy , even as a weapon- i was small, beautiful and deadly.. after all i am my father's daughter.' 

'A gift?' Shane asks, but i can tell by his face he already knows; something in his expression shows his disgust; Gerard's hand in mine tightens at the little piece of information as he is begging for the chance to cause retribution to my father. 

'I think you are fully aware of what i am referring too; and yes in all manner of speaking he used me like a puppet for all his array of horrific deeds.'

'Where did he take you, after Amelie?' Claire asks, a hunger in her eyes that i can't seem to account for. 

'America, it was a long and arduous journey; our boat was overcome with a deadly disease; as you can imagine the death rate was intolerable; Father enjoyed his feast a great deal; especially those of first class - was a great love he preferred the fresh virgins in there fancy gowns ad total innocence; apparently they tasted better, fruitier he used to call it. For over a hundred years i was my father's...well a modern colloquialism would be his bitch.' I can't help the laugh that escapes my lips; it isn't of joy but of nightmares.  'We took North America first, it was easy pickings; they were unorganised and all too selfish to work in anything but solitude; the south was harder but the 'covens' in the south were blood hungry and a large majority liked what Bishop presented; some having heard from one vampire ear to another of his hunger and desire, and they welcomed it. It took forty-eight years for us to take all of centralised America, but by that time father was a loose cannon, he didn't think not did he even believe he should keep a low profile. Damage control was a full time job; the amount of lives ruined when he'd go out to local dwellings in search of prey... in search of the perfect virgin blood; or when some of his loyal followers would present him with gifts ... it was destruction...'

'But how did you escape him?' Michael's soft voice drifts over me, a kind and gentle manner- i can hear in his voice alone what Amelie saw in his Grandfather Sam; if he had only a touch of what i can sense lies in Michael; he is torch of strength and integrity. 

'I didnt.' 

'What?' Gerard asks, confusion plain on his face.

'There was a revolution, the northern quarter didn't like it and so with somewhat careful planning and time they planned to over take their Lord Bishop and he didn't suspect for a minute until it was too late...he was overzealous in his ideas and never fathomed that maybe for once a person may come to concur him...'

'But still how did you get away my lady?' Gerard's brow puckers with confusion.

'Relax my sweet one, i am free; the tale is not as thrilling as an escape father was lured into a trap and unwittingly to him I was a key in the revolution- they let me leave and with out looking back at Father i ran all the way to England.'

'Why didn't he come after you?' Shane asks. 'You were important to him...'

'He was prisoner for a short while; but still he searched but never left the America he had concurred; it was another two hundred years before he was finally ripped from his throne, as i heard through a vine by a master of war- its only now i see that to be Amelie and all that she and Myrnin did. My father then went without a second thought to be after a century past and i heard not as much as a whisper about a feared ruler and so i began to live; the idea that Amelie was dead left me with no need to return to our original home; and so i found a home in England only leaving for a few years; enough time for people to forget my face. The life span then was nothing compared to now; germs and infection killed quickly as did as much the common cold; life was short and swift.' 

'At least you didn't go hungry...' Shane whispers, under his breath as he takes a sip of his beer. 

'Yes Shane.' I say startling him. 'I didn't go hungry but i only did what i had to.' 

'Time to open the ball dear sister.' Amelie flows through the crowd that parts like the Red Sea did for Moses- a icy queen in her element. 

'Thy shall then Amelie.' I smile, taking Gerard's hand he puts his hand in mine. We walk onto the ballroom floor; into the large space left purely for dancing that tiled in a heavenly scene of miniature mosaic, that click under my heel. Gerard spins me like a child as my dress flares out showing my staggering heels that glitter with the encrusted diamond sharps; that are sharpened and vicious to the touch; as he spins me to face him i can't help the laugh that escapes my lips that sounds so young and carefree as I was all those years ago when Amelie screened me for the pain of the world around me. We face each other, two lost souls finally finding each other in the miracle that is life. I place an elegant hand on his shoulder as he places his on waist and the entire orchestra comes to life; like they've have been brought to life in that instant. I wink at Gerard as he takes the first step; and then as we whirl on the floor the steps come back to me; the twist, the turns, the twirls i am at one with the floor; Gerard and I are one. As the music continues, and the strings of violin begin to echo I see Amelie and Oliver join us on the floor; they are majestic with grace as the rubies in Amelie's dress catch the light bringing a haunting in their elegance. More and more join the floor, all bodies moving together in the flow of dance. I feel Gerard's hand touch my waist as he lifts me from the floor, like a proud father would hold his daughter; i smile as he lowers me watching me with hooded eyes. 

'You are home my dear Ana.' He breathes, his lips inches from mine. 

'That i am.' But somehow that gets lost in our kiss as the music and dancing plays a sweet melody around us.