Chapter 11

Tomika POV

The next day at school I noticed Summer in this strange trance. She was acting how Freddy felt the day of his party, dancing around the halls, smiling uncontrollably. If anything it's almost as if she forgot about our fight yesterday. Maybe she was ready to apologize...

I walked over to her locker as she got her things for class. She had her rose gold headphones on, probably jamming out to Coldplay as usual.

T- Hi.

She took off her headphones.

S- Oh, hey.

T- You seem to be in a good mood.

S- What, no, me? You're imagining things.

T- Really?

Her and Freddy both, a bunch of crazies.

S- Listen Tomiks I wanted to talk to you about something.

This was it! Soon we would be best friends again.

S- What song do you think Freddy and I should sing? I've narrowed it down to a few options.

Maybe I spoke too soon.

T- That's what you wanted to talk about? Our fight meant nothing to you? You know Summer you're apologizing skills are pretty lousy.

S- Excuse me but Tomika if anything  you  should apologize!

T- Me?! You're the one who ditched a party! You're the one...

S- Oh please  not this again. Save your breath Tomiks, I'm leaving.

I felt like crying again, but I knew I couldn't run into the bathroom again. I wasn't a wimp.

I waited until she was gone and then walked to Mr. Finn's, taking an extra long route instead.

Summer POV

I stormed out of our fight before it became too catastrophic. Luckily my mind quickly wandered to last night.
Something was going on between Freddy and I. I could feel it. Yesterday was no mistake, and it's like the universe is telling me something. That moment was electric. It's a feeling that no one, not even Asher, has made me feel.

Wait a minute Asher.
Asher.
Asher.

I was still his girlfriend.
I am still his girlfriend.

Maybe my evening at Freddy's was an accident. If anything I don't want two great guys fighting over me.

Why is everything so complicated?

I realized that the best thing to do is forget about anything that happened last night. Though I wanted to talk to someone about it.

No I didn't. I just need to keep it professional and realize that I have a boyfriend. An amazing one who had a great party on Saturday! For my own sake I just needed to work on the song with Freddy as a friend and move on with my life. I mean how hard could that be?

M- Alright junior rockers we need to prepare for this gig, so I want you guys to break into your groups. Make sure you have your song chosen by the end of class.

I walked over to Freddy's desk though he was already walking towards mine.

We stood there like confused little kids. Confused? No it was just plain awkward.

S- Maybe its better if we stand.

F- Are you sure?

S- You know what let's just go to my desk!

Real cool Summer. Real  cool.

He pulled up Tomika's desk and brought it closer to mine.

S- Stop!

F- What's wrong.

I peered over and saw an abundant amount of space between our two desks.

S- See I work best when things are far apart! Not close oh not close. Never!

Today was not my day. If only Tomika were here by my side. She would come up with ways to rescue me, we'd grab ice cream after school and then we'd laugh about it.

F- Summer? About last night, I, well...

S- Let me stop you right there, buddy.
See the past is in the past and I'm all about the present.

He looked at me, confused, perplexed, possibly contemplating whether I needed help.

F- Okay whatever you say. So now about the song....

I cut him off again. Note to self: gotta stop doing that.

S- See I was thinking we could do "Little Do You Know?" There's a cover online by Annie Leblanc and Hayden Sumerall. And it'd be perfect for us cause it's kind of split up into girl and boy parts. See cause we're just two friends hanging out. OMG it's so obvious!

F- Okay and maybe you could come over to listen to the song?

S- Um no. I think the best way to do this is independent study. You know divide and conquer sort of thing. Like you divide all the way on the opposite side of the room, maybe even on the opposite side of the country. And I'll stay here and conquer.

F- Ooooookkkkkaaaaayyyyy?

S- Right so I'll just go tell Mr. Finn we picked a song and we can go on with life.

I got out of the most awkward conversation of my life feeling the beads of sweat forming on my forehead.

I approached Mr. Finn sitting at his desk, solving a jigsaw puzzle.

S- Mr. Finn?

M- Yes?

S- Well Freddy and I have decided on what song we want to sing.

M- Okay awesome which one?

S- Um it's called, "Little Do You Know,"

M- Alright great choice Summer.

S- I hope so.

M- What was that?

S- Oh, nothing.

I shuffled away, making sure to drag out every minute. I sat back down and noticed Freddy staring at me.

F- So?

S- So...

He smiled.

F- Did he write down our song?

S- Yuperooni he did. Cause we're partners and....just friends.

I felt like Summer before the eclipse a couple of years ago. I was a complete wreck. I had to find a way to slyly exit this conversation.

F- Listen I really need to talk to you Sum.

He grabbed my hands. It felt comfortable so I didn't pull away.

F- Can you meet me after school?

S- Freddy I...

F- Please?

I sighed.

S- Okay.

F- I'll meet you by my locker.

I pulled my hands away and nodded my head.

Thank you to @heart499 for suggesting the song!! But don't worry I'm still choosing a song for the other duets as well 😄. Thank you to everyone for 1k reads, that is absolutely insane!! 💜 Really hope everyone is enjoying!! Alright that's it for now....