A Gangster's Daughter Chapter 25: You and Me

The apartment was small and barren

The apartment was small and barren. I scrunched my nose at the dusty smell of the place, as if a window hadn't been open in a very long time. A sofa, small TV sat in the center of what looked to be a little living room area and table and pair of miss-match chairs sat opposite each other at a table at the edge of the open concept kitchen. Empty beer bottles littered the floor around the couch.

"Lets get you clean and to bed," he said, his voice loud in the quiet place. He placed his hand on my lower back, directing me to one of the two doors on the left.

The bathroom seemed clean, despite the yellow spots on the walls that made it look like the paint was melting off of the walls. The square shower was open at the top and despite the four wall glass enclosure of it.

Gage pulled the door open, turning the shower on, he tested the water before he turned back to me.

"I'll get you some clothes and a towel," he started to step around me in the tiny bathroom when I stopped him.

"Gage," his worried eyes met mine, "I am going to need help with my shirt," his eyes dropped to my arm in the sling before they met mine again. His only response was to nod, as he reached out, unclasping the sling from my neck and freeing my arm. I groaned as my shoulder protested the weight of my arm, causing his eyes to flicker to my face for a moment.

He took a deep breath as he reached under my shirt, scrunching it up to my shoulder, gently leading my arm through the arm hole. Once out, he pulled the top over my head and down my other arm, letting it drop onto the floor at my feet.

His eyes were staring at me, drawn to my bare chest, exposed and bra-less. He took a shaky breath before he tore his gaze from my chest.

Clearing his throat he moved around me to the door.

"Call for me if you need anything," his voice broke, causing him to clear his throat once more before leaving my half naked in the bathroom.

At some point Gage and slipped into the bathroom and placed clothes and a clean towel on the sink. I was too distracted by the feel of the hot water, watching the grime wash down the drain.

When I stepped out of the shower I felt as if I had scrubbed off a few layers of skin, a lot of my body was red. It didn't matter, I was clean, and smelled like Gage, which brought me comfort.

I avoided looking at myself in the mirror. I did not want to see myself. I did not want to see the marks on my body.

Dressed in a large t-shirt and a pair of boxers, damp towel wrapped around my head to dry my hair, I stepped out of the bathroom. The colder air drawing a shiver from me.

"Gage?" I called when I noticed he was not in the living room or kitchen areas.

"How are you feeling?" he asked as he stepped out of the door next to the bathroom.