Chapter 2

CHAPTER 2

            Sir Balduin limped across the bailey, frowning at the handsome, auburn-haired man boldly embracing the woman he loved. “Lucianna?” he queried as he came abreast of them standing with Triston.

            The stranger turned, his arm still draped around Lucianna’s waist, but it was Triston who answered with a reassuring clap to Sir Balduin’s shoulder. “It is only her brother, old friend.”

            Sir Balduin felt his cheeks warm. Had his jealousy been so obvious? But he shot a surprised look at Lucianna. “Brother?” She had never mentioned any kin to him before.

            The auburn-haired man finally released her and gave Sir Balduin a graceful and courteous bow. “I am Serafino Fabio, at your service, milord. And you?”

            Triston laughed. “This is the bridegroom, Sir Balduin de Soler.”

            “But no!” Lucianna exclaimed. “We are not to marry. It is over! Serafino, you must take me back to Venice. Now!”

            Sir Balduin’s heart gave a panicked lurch. Though her previous threats had alarmed him, he had always found a way to soothe whatever feathers he had inadvertently ruffled on this lovely, temperamental woman because thus far, as Triston had pointed out, she had no resources to carry out her threats. But a brother to escort her safely along the highways back to the lands she still called home?

            “Lucianna, please, I beg you—” Sir Balduin had never plead for mercy from any man, not even the one who had shattered his hip with a sword blow, and then stood with steel aimed over his heart before Triston had cut the villain down. But it seemed since Lucianna had crossed the threshold of Vere Castle, he had done little else than beg her pardon, and never more frequently than over the last fortnight as their wedding at last drew near. He had spoken the words so many times now, they no longer felt awkward on his tongue, but they fell more urgent than they ever had before. “Just let me speak to you alone.”

            “There is nothing left to say. Serafino, come!”

            Even Triston looked dismayed when she took Serafino’s arm and sought to drag him off to the stables.

            But Serafino withstood her with a laugh Sir Balduin suspected had charmed many a woman. “What, cara, would you break this gentleman’s heart? Look at the way he gazes on you.”

            Sir Balduin prayed she would do just that and read the heart she would, indeed, break if she left. But Lucianna only stuck her nose in the air and looked pointedly over Sir Balduin’s shoulder.

            “He adores you, cara,” Serafino said with the insight Lucianna continued to snub. “No, no, I cannot allow you to walk away from love again.”

            Again?

            Serafino pried something from Lucianna’s clenched fist—Sir Balduin’s ring!—and slid it back onto her finger.

            Serafino flashed a smile as beautiful as an angel at Sir Balduin. “She is a stubborn, volatile woman, signore, but you will never be bored with her. Signor Triston says I arrived in time for a wedding, and a wedding we will have.”

            “You will, of course, be our guest,” Triston said. “Lucianna, take your brother inside. See that he is refreshed from his journey and have the servants prepare my brother’s room for his stay.” Triston glanced at the bay horse with the white blaze down its nose that Serafino had left near the stable. A single saddlebag draped the mount’s hindquarters. “Surely you traveled with more than this?”