Chapter 27- A Most Fearsome Holiday

Frankie and Daphne were standing in Honeydukes a couple days before the 14th of February, looking at the wreckage of one of the many grand shop displays of chocolate. They'd been picked nearly clean by this late in the day, but both had been too indecisive, debating on whether or not they actually wanted to buy any chocolate in the first place. As third years with permission to go to Hogsmeade, it was going to be the first Valentine's Day that they could actually get chocolate for the people that they liked. Unfortunately, they seemed to be having a little trouble picking out which ones they wanted to purchase. They had the usual selections, like Chocolate Frogs and Chocolate Wands, but any other options beyond that seemed a little too fishy to give to someone you supposedly care for. There were unusual ranges such as, Illusion Bon Bons, Transfiguration Truffles, and Charm Choc, that had apparently been lining the shelves some time prior to that day. It was more than a bit concerning that they were all nearly sold out.

"Where is the normal chocolate?"

Frankie's confusion came from the fact she grew up muggle and wasn't used to the normalization of drugged chocolate. They didn't seem to have a piece in the entire store that didn't have magical side effects. Daphne kept playfully nudging her to get Tom one of the Happy Mood Enhancing Chocolate Bars, for a laugh. Frankie thought it might be fun for a minute or two, but he'd be extra cross when the magic faded surely. He was already being rather difficult about practicing Cheering Charms because he'd rather keep his pride than his grade, surprisingly.

"I really don't think you'll find any. In the wizarding world, chocolate generally has something else to it," Daphne replied, to Frankie's question. "Most of the ones here have good intentions, at least. It's the ones from Zonko's you have to watch out for."

"What do you mean?" Frankie asked, staring off into the direction of the joke shop. The shop was usually full of boys, laughing and pulling pranks on each other before they even got out of the store. However, today it was full of girls. They were carrying out large boxes, with secretly evil smiles as they talked plans and strategy in hushed whispers. There wasn't a single boy in sight of the shop today.

"Well, I hear they actually have chocolate spiked with love potions. But, of course, I'm not daft enough to drug someone into liking me for a few hours."

"You hardly need too. You have nearly every boy in our year falling off staircases and offering to carry your books." Frankie added, with a smile. Daphne returned the coy smile, knowing she meant it to be a compliment rather than a jab at her character. Frankie often insisted both of her best friends were the most intelligent and beautiful people because they were both insistently pessimistic about themselves. While Daphne wasn't quite sure how Tom felt about it, she thought it was mostly endearing to have that kind of support behind her. But, sometimes it put a lot of pressure on her to try and live up to better expectations.

"None who matter, though." Daphne sighed. Frankie's expression fell slightly as well. All the other girls in Gryffindor had expressed who they might be giving chocolates too, except Daphne. While it could've just been that she didn't particularly like any of the boys at school, Frankie got the sense that wasn't true. Daphne simply refused to tell them who she had her eye on. "—Anyway, look out for those chocolates. They're pretty dangerous and tend to circulate around, so I'd be careful if I were you..."

Frankie was looking at all the chocolate around them a little differently now, with a little more fear and a lot more disappointment. Her Valentine's Day plans were ruined. There was no way she could give that very particular person drugged chocolate. However, if she didn't give him something, it might look like she didn't care about him.

"I think I'll just take these then..."

They had left the shop with their purchases and, were in the midst of deciding what to do next, when they were spotted by Tom. He had been looking for the better part of an hour for Frankie at least. They were supposed to meet at Tomes and Scrolls, but she had never showed up. "Frankie—where on earth have you been? I've been waiting on you for at least an hour."