Tiny apartment

Basil, she was called. A heart as pure as the pale, freckled skin that encased her. A photography major who enjoyed long conversations with her mother and reading to her grandmother on Sunday afternoons. She was quiet and shy and had glasses too big for her face, but she was strong willed and hopeful.
She had grown up in a small town in Washington, where everyone left once graduating high school; a class of only 116. Now she lived by herself, as a student at the local college, working at the library nearby.
It was actually a job she enjoyed very much. She had loved books since she was a child, and she appreciated the escapes they gave her. The management however, not so much. Her boss, Showed up every Tuesday and Friday to make sure everything was in order and to remind her that the only reason she had this job was because her and her mother went to school together and it was an overdue favor, but despite what she the old lady said she knew that her hard work is what kept her there.
"Excuse, me I'm looking for the history section?" A small young voice said, "I'm writing a paper."
Basil looked up from her computer screen at the young girl, "it's to the left, fourth shelf from the front, all you need should be there. But come back if you have any questions."
"Thanks" she answered.
Basil gave her a warm smile and went back to her computer, trying to finish her own paper on Andy Warhol, which interested her, but not enough to motivate her tired mind. Not long after getting a few more sentences out, she felt a tap on her shoulder. It was her co-worker, James. "What's up stranger?"
"Finishing a paper for my art history class. I haven't seen you in a while, how have you been?"
"I've been good, my Sezy has been sick so I've had to stay home and take care of the baby."
Sezy was his wife of 3 years, they had just had their first child this summer and he was constantly home because of such.
"You know I'm always happy to help if you ever need a babysitter. If there is ever a day I'm off I could use the extra cash."
"Of course and thank you I'll definitely keep that in mind. Im just happy to be out of the house for a little bit, to speak to an actual adult."
"Should we talk about tax returns and the men stressed on Wall Street?"
"Ha! Don't push me to fast. Actually I came to tell you that you can clock out, I'll close tonight."
"Are you sure I-"
"I'm sure. you've probably been here since early this morning and you look like you need dinner and to finish that. I've got it. Honestly you'll be doing me a favor, let my brain rework itself. "
"Right! Thanks, James." she said with a smile, gathering her things and logging out for the evening. Even though she needed the hours, she was thankful for him today. Just like he said, she had been there since they opened that morning and desperately needed to finish her work for class.

She opened the door to her warm, small one room apartment and was greeted by her kitty, Luna. She purred against Basil's cold, wind chilled fingers and meowed for her supper; her blue eyes full of love.
"You finished your big bowl of food, I see. What if James hadn't come to rescue me?" She said, pulling a can of cat food from the fridge. "You would have been hungry, that's what. You have to pace yourself, little one."
She had rescued Luna, a few months before from a box outside of her apartment building. She was skinny and frail and barely big enough to fit in a shoe; but she was the sweetest fur-ball you'd be lucky to meet.
After serving Luna her meal, she pulled out her own. Butternut squash soup, her mother had made for her 2 days before. It was her favorite rainy day, Autumn meal and it warmed her up like nothing else would. As she heated up her soup, She gazed upon her tiny flat. Looking at the flowers pinned to the walls in place of picture frames and the cozy yellow rugs placed on the cold tile floors; and her light fixture, that was made of lightbulbs inside of old camera lenses, that her mom DIY'd before she went off to school. It wasn't much but it was hers and it was home.
She flipped through Pandora on her tv and put on the classical music station she'd saved, grabbing her soup and sitting at the little sunflower dinner table by the window. She plugged in her computer and grabbed a blanket, getting back to work. Not long after Luna joined up and snuggled in her lap, craving the affection she'd missed all day.

3 hours later she closed her laptop, shut off the tv, and drew herself a lavender bubble bath. Soon her little grey kitty followed in behind to sit on her makeup stool. She picked up her book from the side of her tub and read till the bubbles were gone and the water was no longer warm.

"Alright, Luna time for bed." The cat meowed in response and curled up on the pillow beside hers. She turned off the lights and let the day slip away.

*buzz* *buzz* *buzz* *buzz* *buzz*
"Hello?"
"Hi honey, are you going to your grandmothers today? I made her a casserole and wanted to see if you could bring it over? I won't be home to give it to you, but I'll leave it on the stove."
"Yea, I can go over there after class today. Do you know what time her nurse leaves?"
"I think today it's 4. I haven't looked at the schedule-" her mom answered in a panicked tone.
"Mom, its fine. I'll just go when I'm done"
"Thanks, honey. Hey, listen I have to go but we can talk tomorrow okay? I have a huge interview this morning and I can't be late - love you!!" And just like that her mother was gone. Usually her conversations with her mom lasted a while, but like her mom said today was different.
Continuing her short conversation, Basil rolled out of bed and slipped on fuzzy socks to cover her small numb toes. "Shit the heats out again! Lu-" she looked over to see her small sliver kitten curled up in a ball on her kitchen chair, catching the first rays of that days sun. "Look at you, content as could be." She kissed her on the head and started her morning. Green tea, a banana, and oatmeal. She also set out Luna's meal for the morning. "What are you going to do today, huh?" Basil asked her feline friend. "Would you like to see Sampson?" Her ears immediately perked up. Sampson was a cat who lived down the hall with her neighbor, named Avriel. He was slightly taller than she was and had beautiful dark curls that went just past his shoulders, along with a set of beautiful green eyes that stopped you. He moved into the building around the same time she did and she asked him for advice a couple times when she had rescued Luna.
"Okay, finish your breakfast and I'll see if Avi will take you." After showering and getting her things for the day, they both patted over to his place.
"Hey, Basil! How's it going?"
"Hey! I'm great, I was wondering if Luna and Sampson could play today? The heating is out in my unit again and she just adores you both.."
"Of course! She can stay as long as you need and if you'd like, I'm ordering takeout tonight, and you are more then welcome to come over if it's to cold" he flashed her a smile and swiped over his hair with his hand. He may have been a few years older but he made her heart flutter.
"Yea, that sounds great!" She has been over once before so she didn't hesitate at all this time to say yes. "Are you caught up on Game of Thrones? The new episode is on tonight"
"I'm hurt, how dare you insult me by asking such a question?" He joked.
"Oh yes, I forgot I live next to Khal Drogo"
"Does that mean your khaleesi?"
"Bye Avi," she rolled her eyes, "thank you!!" She said turning her back and hoping down the stairs.
"Dinners at 6," he called down, "see you!!"
---------------------------
Thank you for taking an interest! It's been a while since I've written and started a fic like this, but I'm excited and I have plans!! Go easy on me, but send me comments - I'm a lonely sunflower :)