Twenty-Two

The workload at the office was definitely heavy when we got back. Everyone seemed to work more efficiently after their break. They seemed happier, and I was treated like their hero. I tried to ignore it though. I couldn't seem to catch up with the work fast enough. I sat at the desk flipping through paperwork and digital files, and returning phone calls. After going at it for hours, a pair of hands on my shoulders brought me out of my groove. I jumped and turned to see Arlo.

"At this rate, you'll have weeks worth of work done before lunch," he said as he kissed the top of my head. I sighed and stopped for a moment.

"I wanted to make sure everything was in order as soon as possible," I said. It was actually the truth too. I felt myself caring about Arlo and the success of his company more and more. There was a knock on the glass. We looked up to seen Kristen.

"Sorry to interrupt, I just came to pick up
Ly for lunch," Kris apologized. Arlo closed the notebook I had in front of me and stood me up.

"That's a perfect idea," Arlo said excitedly. "Ly needs fresh air," Arlo said. I looked at Arlo confused.

"But-"

"It'll all be right here when you get back, I promise," he chuckled before he kissed my cheek. "Now go," he smiled. I gave him a thankful smile before I followed Kris out of the building.

"Working hard I see," he noted.

"It's the first day back, and I needed the distraction," I reminded him as I followed him to the car. He opened the passenger door for me and I got in before he got in the driver's side.

"How are you?" He asked as he pulled away from the building. I shrugged.

"It's harder than I thought it would be," I admitted.

"Because you're feelings are getting in the way," he noted before he sighed. "I don't want to say it but-"

"You tried to warn me, I know," I finished for him.

"You didn't go to my charity event," he said.

"Arlo and I were busy dealing with his mom," I answered. "But you have another one coming up right?"

"I always do," he replied dryly. We pulled up to the valet at our favorite restaurant and went inside. We were seated almost immediately and tended to with lunchtime margaritas. This was a regular spot for us.

"Are you still working out?" He asked. I resisted the urge to roll my eyes as a cranberry salad was placed in front of me. "You can't slip up on the things you can control," he added.

"I'll keep that in mind," I answered as I started on my salad. "How have you been otherwise?" I asked to change the subject.

"Good. Katherine stopped by the other day," he said, dropping that bomb on my lap like it were only a feather. My eyes widened as I tried my best not to choke on my salad.

"What?! Why didn't you tell me?!" I said, raising my voice slightly.

"Keep your voice down," he stated calmly. "You has your own plate full and I didn't want to take you away from your current... job," he explained.

"What happened?" I asked.

"She wanted to talk; didn't like the way we left things, and wanted to work towards being friends... and business partners," he explained before stopping to eat.

"And?" I prodded.

"And that's it. We're going to set a date later to talk further," he explained.