Nightmares- Chapter 2

───♚───sidenote───♚───

I will be adding POV's from now on :) 

Elsa's POV

"I feel like children again," Anna giggles. "It feels like forever since we've played in the snow. I'm so happy."

"Me too," I say, smiling. "It brings back memories, doesn't it. . . "

Suddenly, sharp, blue ice shoots out from my body in each direction, and Anna screams and collaspes onto the ground. 

My heart immediately beats twice as fast. "Anna!" I shriek. I run towards the heap in the snow, and even though she is five feet away from me, she seems to be getting farther and farther away. I run as fast as I can and, finally, she is at my feet. I kneel over and grab her shoulders to lift her off the cold ground. Her whole body is the same temperature as the snow around her, her eyes are closed, and her face is an unnatural shade of blue. 

"Anna! No. . . wake up, please wake up," I choke, a tear running down my cheek. "I'm so sorry. It was an accident. Please, don't do this to me again."

"Elsa. . . " She gasped. I light up, but it only lasts a second as I hear her next words: "You're hurting me."  

I look down to where I was holding her shoulders and see hard ice creeping out from under my hands. I scream and let go, but it was too late. The ice expands and slowly covers her body, inch by inch. 

"Make it stop!" Anna cries. I want to reach out to help her, but I am unable to move. "Elsa!" she screams. "Queen Elsa. . . "

"Queen Elsa!"

My whole body jerks awake. I lay, still tense, wondering if I were still half asleep or if someone actually called my name. Feeling unsure, I wait for it to speak again. 

"Queen Elsa, are you awake?" whispers a female voice behind my bedroom door.

I recognize the voice as one of my servants, and I sigh from relief that I am back in reality. "Yes," I say. "I'm awake. You may come in." I look at the grand clock beside the doorway and see that it is six in the morning, an hour early from the usual time I get up.

The door creaks open slowly and Agnes, the servant, peeks her head in. "I'm so sorry to disurb you at this untimely hour, your magesty," she says. "but there is some important business you must conduct right now."

"Can you tell me what it is?" I say sleepily, getting up into sitting position.

"It's a prisonor of some sort. That's all I've been told. You were notified of his arrival today, weren't you?"

"Prisoner? What? No, I wasn't," I say, confused.

"Oh, Princess Anna told me she had already discussed it with you."

"Discussed what?" I say more forcefully than I had intended.

"I don't know, your magesty. All I was told was to wake you up and tell you about the prisoner that has arrived. I apologize. I brought the letter in case you wanted to see it again." She holds up a rolled up piece of parchment and walks over to hand it to me. 

After I dismiss her, I sigh and sweep back my messy hair out of my face. I slip out of bed, walk towards the window, and slide apart the curtains, letting the early morning light burst in. As I look out to the kingdom, I start to think about the dream I just had. It's starting to fade away, but I can clearly remember Anna's horrified and pained expression. I've had similar dreams almost every night, and I start to wonder if it was even possible to completely forget the past.

I unroll the paper in my hands. It was a short, concise message written by King Alexander of the Southern Isles. 

Dear Queen Elsa and Princess Anna of Arendelle:

I would first like to apologize for the behavior concerning Prince Hans of the Sourthern Isles. I am fully aware he has attempted to commit murder upon the queen and, indirectly, Princess Anna. The punishment of these attempts is, as it states in Arendelle's Law and Order decree, execution. Since Prince Hans is a part of my kingdom, it is reasonable that he be executed here; However, I feel that it is proper for the queen of the kingdom he tormented to be the one to execute the punishment. I am transporting him by ship to your kingdom. Please write back if you have any problems with this conclusion or if you do not wish to punish the man who attempted murder.

King Alexander of the Southern Isles

I stare at the tiny cursive words with wide eyes. How was I not informed of this? The letter was signed two days ago, yet in those days the only business letters I had recieved were regarding trade with other kingdoms. I suddenly remember what Agnes had said: "Oh, Princess Anna told me she had already discussed it with you."

Why would Anna lie about that? And why didn't she show me the letter? I swollow down the anger that was building up and walk out the door towards the hallway Anna's room was located.

I knock on her bedroom door twice and patiently wait. A minute ticked by, and I knock again, a little more loudly.

"Anna? Are you in there?" I ask.

As I wait, I hear a voice coming from around the corner that grows louder as it nears. 

"--need to bind him. I mean, I know it's not necessary and all, but I just want to. Oh and--" The voice, belonging to Anna, stops when she turns the corner and sees me.

"Oh! Elsa! Hi! I mean-- good morning!" She's wearing a vanilla colored dress that had a light pink corset and an intricate floral pattern from the waist down. Her hair was up in bun with a braid on top of her head, like usual. I, on the other hand, am still in my nightgown, and my hair is a tangled mess.

"Good morning! Hey Anna? I actually need to talk to you for a moment." 

The servant gets the hint and bows slightly before walking away.

Anna giggles while walking towards me and says, "Did you just wake up?" 

"No, I've been up for hours, can't you tell?" I say, smiling. I don't want to ruin her good mood, so I try to approach the problem lightly. "Oh, by the way, was there something you forgot to tell me?"

Anna suddenly looks nervous. "Oh, right. You heard about. . . the thing. I was going to tell you!" she says, a guilty look on her face. "But you were at a meeting, and I just thought that you would be fine with my decision--it's not like we could say no. Don't get me wrong! I was going to tell you, but I forgot. You know, with me planning my wedding, so. . ."

She trails off, looking at me as if I'm supposed to say something.

"Oh," I finally say. "Well, okay. That's okay. Of course I wouldn't say no. He tried to kill us. Just. . . next time try to say something, alright? It was really sudden for me this morning, and matters like this are important. We have to agree as a team, okay?" 

Anna nods. "Okay! Whew, I'm so glad you're okay with that!" She says, her body dropping from relaxation. "So the execution date is in two weeks. And if you want to see Hans, he's in the dungeons."

"Okay, thanks Anna."

"No problem," she says.

Two weeks, I think. I don't even know if I can wait that long.