What Became of the Hero of Time

And so the little boy in green rode out of Termina, back to his own world, continuing his search for his fairy companion. He journeyed far beyond Hyrule, to many strange lands. Each night he sat by a campfire and reflected on the death of the Great Deku Tree- the only father he had ever known. He would think about his childhood love for Saria, and his finding out much later that she liked him back, only to learn that they could never be together even if she weren't a sage. He aged and she did not. He would still feel frustrated about suddenly being forced into the body of a 16 year old, and just as he was getting used to it, being shoved back into the body of a 9 year old again. He would remember the desolation that Hyrule had faced in his absence, and the fact that it was his pulling the Master Sword that had caused it. He would still feel the pain he felt when the Deku Sprout revealed his true identity as a Hylian, and how his mother had died. He only took solace in remembering the instant, seemingly impenetrable bond that had formed the moment he met Zelda. As Link traveled between the temples, he had begun to realize Sheik's identity.

Sheik had spoken of young love becoming deep affection and the strength of friendship growing over time, causing Link's mind to drift to Zelda. When he looked at Sheik again, he saw him for who she truly was and fell in love. Link knew that when Zelda sent him back, she had done it out of love, out of wanting the best for him, but he couldn't help but feel frustrated. Everything he had accomplished... all his hard work... vanished. Completely undone.

Worst of all, he was alone. Across his journies he had met many people; some kind, some not so much. But none of these people were with him now. Even a fairy would have been company enough, but Tatl had elected to stay behind with her brother and Skull Kid.

As the years passed, Link began to lose hope of ever finding Navi, his truest friend, who had stuck with him through thick and thin. On the day his body finally turned 16 again, he gave up hope completely, and returned to Hyrule.

"Link!" Zelda exclaimed as he walked into the castle. "Oh my goddesses, you've been gone for so long," she said as she enveloped him in a hug.

Link smiled at her touch. "Oh Zelda, I've missed you. Hyrule looks just as I remember it."

Zelda giggled, "So much has happened since you left. The Hyrulean armies immediately seized Ganondorf and exposed him for his true desires, and then he was banished. The Gerudo were quite angry, but we've been mending our relations over the past 7 years."

Link looked her in the eyes. "Zelda, there's something that I've been wanting to tell you since I returned to this time 7 years ago. I-"

Suddenly the door to the hall slammed open. A boy about their age with brown hair and royal looking clothing walked in.

"Oh! I almost forgot to introduce you two," Zelda said, "Link, this is Cado, my fiancé. Cado, this is Link, the boy who-"

"I know who he is," Cado frowned.

"I- it's nice to meet you," Link stammered, suddenly losing all the confidence he'd just had.

Cado ignored him. "Zelda, it's time for our lunch. Why don't you tell Link to go hang out with his forest friends or something."

"Please, Cado, calm down." She rolled her eyes as she turned to Link, "Why don't you join us? It could be a great opportunity to catch up on the last 7 years."

"No, I- it's ok. I'll just go."

"Alright, if that's what you want..."

Link walked out of the castle. As soon as he was out of the happy couple's sight, he started sprinting. Once he was out of castle town and across the river, he curled into a ball and started to cry. All this time, all he had done for this kingdom, only to have the girl he loved find someone else.