1: Matthias

"Watch it, boy!"

Matthias leaped back, just as the cart full of vegetable went by, nearly hitting him.

"Watch it!" he said, glaring after the cart and it's owner, his dark eyes sparking in annoyance. The farmers and merchers around here annoyed him, especially the ones from outside the city.

The hustle and bustle of Ketterdam continued around him, carts bumping by. He watched them a bit more, before he jogged across the street, a hand resting on the revolver at his side, making sure the precious gun didn't somehow come loose from it's holster. Matthias turned and headed down the road, looking around, alert. One didn't walk East Stave without being alert, no matter who you were.

He strode by the Crow Club, only glancing at the building, the kruge in his pocket almost feeling heavier. He could still remember his one and only time inside, at least as a player. He had been on a winning streak of ten before he had been yanked away by the arm, the familiar weight of metal against his skin, before he turned to see Kaz Brekker, Dirtyhands, Bastard of the Barrel, and his uncle. He wouldn't soon forget the lecture he had received, about how the name Fahey and gambling never mixed well.

As he walked by, several people glanced over, whispering softly, a few shamelessly pointing at his collar. He frowned, running a thumb across the golden wreath there, pinned to the collar of his elaborately embroidered emerald coat. It gave him privelege, yes, but sometimes it was more trouble than it was worth.

Matthias just kept walking, checking his watch. His visit to the Slat had taken longer than he thought, and he knew he was going to be late for dinner; there wasn't time to walk all the way to the Geldin district before seven bells. He sighed. He didn't even think he could walk all the way there tonight, he was already exhausted. He knew if he stayed out the night his fathers wouldn't turn much of a cheek, not when it came to him, they knew he could hold his own. But he hated that look of relief on his dad's face, as though he had the slightest thought that he wouldn't make it home. He knew Wylan worried enough, and he didn't want to add to it.

Perhaps he could spend a few of the kruge sitting in his pocket for a gondel, though there was always his fear that it would be some sort of trap against him. His father had always ingrained a sense of healthy paranoia, as he called it, into Matthias. Spending a year in the Barrel would do that to a person.

"Matty!"

The call made him turn, a familiar face walking up, the unmistakable grin of Jesper Fahey making him grin." Father.", he said, as Jesper fell into step with him. Jesper had the smell of smoke and water stuck to him, a telltale sign that he had been down by the Slat as well, maybe even inside of it." Why are you down here? Didn't think I could talk to Kaz myself?", he said, glancing at his father, who chuckled.

"What, a man can't go say hello to his old friend?", he asked, smiling at Matthias as they kept walking.

Matthias didn't say anything, continuing to walk. He was nearly 18, nearly an adult, and he really wished his father would stop trying to protect him so much. He knew that was why Jesper had followed to the Slat; not to talk to Kaz, but to keep an eye on Matthias. He always did, no matter how much Matthias complained, so he had finally stopped complaining, and merely ignored it. He knew Jesper just wanted to make sure he didn't get himself into a hole like his father had once done, gambling away his money, and essentially his freedom as he collected debt after debt. Matthias would never even dream about doing such a thing, but even with his many assurances to this fact, his father still worried, still hovered.

They walked in silence to the Exchange, where there was even more crowds and business, though Matthias easily spotted the ruddy colored curls of Wylan Fahey-Van Eck, standing at the top of the stairs to the Exchange, speaking with one of the many merchers in Kerch, Wylan nodding every now and then. Matthias and Jesper started up the steps, until they were next to them, the other mercher having just turned and walked off. Wylan turned towards them, his eyes lighting up when he saw the two of them." Looks like we're all going to be late for dinner.", he said with a smile. Matthias smiled, as his father wrapped an arm around him.

"I guess we are.", Jesper said, smiling, and he looked around." Why don't we go get something from an inn or what not?", he asked. Matthias nodded at that idea. There was only so many times he could handle sitting in the dining room, which was always stuffy after the cooks had been running the ovens. Wylan smiled.

"Alright, where do you have in mind?", he asked, as they started walking down the steps, Matthias on the other side of his father, who still had his arm around Wylan.

Matthias looked around, at all the merchers going to and from the Exchange, taking note of their clothes, their postures, their faces. He could tell the more prestigious ones, the wannabes, and everything in between. He also noticed the men and women walking by, some of them holding the air of a mercher, others obviously from the Barrel, having the rather pulled down look, some of them in a piece of flashy clothing or two, though they had nothing on Jesper or Matthias.

Matthias glanced at his father's outfit today. It was the one that Wylan claimed was an almost perfect match to the one he had first seen Jesper in, in that dye factory years ago. He had heard that story over and over. How Jesper had thought he looked like a lost prince, how Wylan had noticed him immediately due to his flashy yellow and green ensemble that day.

"Matthias? Did you hear me?"

Wylan's voice snapped him out of his thoughts, looking at him, both Jesper and Wylan looking at him.

"Oh, uh, no, sorry, Dad. What did you say?", he asked, blushing a bit.

Wylan chuckled softly." I was asking whether you wanted to go down to the university cafe.", he asked. Matthias smiled slightly, and nodded.

"Sure.", he said, as they finally walked on the street proper.

As they continued walking, Jesper suddenly stopped, and looked behind him, and grinned." Look who decided to show up."

"I only did in order to tell you something, Jes."

Matthias turned at the sound of Kaz's voice, as Kaz walked up to them, and stopped in the street.

"Or you just couldn't let this face leave again without one last glance.", Jesper said, grinning.

Kaz didn't return the smile, his face its usually stoic mask." I need your help.", he said." All three of you.", he said, looking over the three of them.

Matthias saw his father look a bit shocked, and he was as well. Kaz hadn't asked them to join him for a job in awhile.

"Why now?", Jesper asked.

"Because I need someone who can blow stuff up, a sharpshooter, and a Fabrikator.", he said." And Matthias is far more capable in that than you, Jesper.", he said.

Wylan frowned, but didn't protest, looking between his husband and son." What do we have to do?", he asked

"Meet me in the usual spot at twelve bells tonight.", he said." Then I'll let you know.", he said, before he turned and strode off without another word.

"I am convinced he acts so mysterious on purpose.", Jesper said, frowning after him, his hands resting on his revolvers, before he glanced over to Wylan.

"You almost died last time.", Wylan said simply.

It was true. The last job they had done for Kaz, when it had gone 'wrong', had resulted in Jesper nearly bleeding out. Matthias knew he still had the scar on his chest.

Jesper frowned." I was taken by surprise, Wy.", he said." Beside, let's find out what we have to do first before we say yes or no."

Wylan frowned." Fine, but if you die, I get to say I told you so."