Never Hurt This Way

Last night
-
Dan was on stage, the hot light of the set pouring onto his skin as he slides his beanie back and opens his mouth to give the band a go.

The music starts slowly and Dan sings mellowly as his voice plays from the speakers.
“I’ve never hurt this-
I’ve never hurt this way before.”
Over and over the line plays as the thick sound of the music is accompanied by his melody. He feels the pain swell in his chest as he starts the first verse.
“O-ooh you waited for the lightening storm, though it.” He pauses and for half a moment all is silent.
Then everything comes back hard.
“Might be gone-"
created for the life reborn, though it,”
“Might be long to late to change the road we’re on.”
“though it might be wro-ong.”
He thinks back to his time with Arin and Brian before tears spring to his eyes and the music becomes more clear. They had the world in their palms the three of them. But Brian and Dan were to reckless. They broke Arin’s heart and it tore Brian and dan apart, so much so all three couldn’t bear to be with each other anymore. Both Brian and Arin left Dan and now he’s all alone.
Dan can feel his verse bubbling up from his soul as he sings the words with emotion
“Hey now,
Hey now.”
“Hey now,
Hey now.”
“Hey now,
Hey now.”
“Hey now,
Hey now.”
“We’ve come so far.”
“Hey now,
Hey now.”
“What, are you running from?”
“Hey now,
Hey now.”
“Don’t leave me out.”
“Hey now,
Hey now.”
“The worlds in front of us ooh.”
“Hey now,
Hey now.”
“You waited for the lightening storm,
though, it might be gone.”
“Created for the life reborn, though it,”
“Might be wrong.”

“I’ve never hurt this-
I’ve never hurt this way before.”
Hey now,
Hey now
“I’ve never hurt this-
I’ve never hurt this way before.”
“I’ve never hurt this-
I’ve never hurt this way before.”
“Hey now,
Hey now.
I’ve never hurt this-
I’ve never hurt this way before,
I’ve never hurt this-
I’ve never hurt this way before,
I’ve never hurt this-
I’ve never hurt this way before.”

Dan was still in tears as the occupants of the dark club clapped before he left the stage. The tears didnt stop for the rest of the night either, because the years never dulled the pain.

Present
-
Dan sighed and sat down slowly on the sidewalk.
“30 year old men shouldn’t feel like 80 year old men” Dan mumbled as he let his legs rest, he could have taken his car but the club he performed at was only three and a half city blocks away from his apartment, and he still didnt make enough to afford the luxury of wasting gas. Hell he couldn’t afford the luxury of hot water what was he talking about.
“Sir are you alright?” Dan looked up as a sweet voice filled his ears and suddenly a woman dressed in a green sweater and tight tan colored jeans stopped infront of him, the clicking of her dark heels against the pavement stopped along with her movement.

“Um yeah, I’m okay.”
“Suzy wait up!” Dan slowly stood up as ‘suzy’ gave him a look over. “Are you begging?” She asked with a hint of confusion to her voice. Dan blushed embarrassed as the person that called out her name came into view.
“Suzy stop trying to help the hobos.” Arin said looking at Dan with no recognition on his still handsome face. Dan’s breath was caught in his throat as he looked at arin in mild surprise. “Arin Hanson?” He asked noting the younger man grew out his facial hair.
Arin looked surprised for a moment before smiling brightly at Dan making his heart swell up with hope. “Yeah, thats me owner of grumpgames Inc.” He says proudly. Dans lips twitch up a bit in bittersweet sadness as he watches Arin wrap an arm around Suzy before looking at Dan again. “My neice is a fan.” The hope is gone as quickly as it came and dan could see a hint of deja vu swimming in Arin’s dark eyes.

“oh and no I’m not begging, actually I’m just on my way to work.” Dan says turning his attention to Suzy when looking at Arin hurts to much. “Oh? Where do you work?” She asks tucking a bright blond strip of hair behind her ear, a few strands of the hair refuse to be caught and frame her round face as she smiles up at Dan from Arin’s arms. “Uh, I work at a club.” Dan says looking away before looking back at Arin. “But I should be going now, dont wanna be late, enjoy your evening you two.” Dan says walking off before they have the chance to reply.
The second Dan’s back is turned the tears come, streaming down his face as his chest starts to feel light. He can’t control the waterworks as he steps in time with the tears sliding off his chin making the rest of the walk feel surreal. Maybe tonight he would take someone home, just to ease the pain, just to feel whole again.

((I like Au’s and I like the idea of Arin, Dan, and Brian being dumb teenagers and dating before fucking shit up and getting caught))