Chapter 12-The Cross Wheels

We go further and further into the cave, walking over half broken bridges, climbing up small cliffs which had disconnected at some point and now we're officially stuck in a room. We all walk through and Nate leading step on a certain part of the floor causing a door to trap us inside the room.

I sign and carried on moving forward. "Well, we're not going back that way. At least we didn't get dropped into a pit or something," Nate says, I roll my eyes at his statement. He is right it is better than being stuck in a pit but being trapped in a room after reading what Avery had written, yeah. 

Being in this room is really good, not good at all.

I look a head to see this huge mechanism which in fact had the crosses on, this is definitely to do with Avery. I cringe as I watch the two brothers walk towards another one of the holes in the wall which already had a dead guys hand inside.

I step away from the wheel in front of me and walk towards the two brothers. "Yeah, I'm just gonna take the... hand... out," Nate slowly says as he grabs onto the wrist bone and tugging the bone off of the skeleton and out of the hole.

The spikes around the man which I am positive it killed the guy, disappeared and noises from behind the wall switch and the part with the silver and the black cross on the wood, slowly start moving. Moving back into the correct form.

"It's a pretty elaborate test?" I hear Nate question as we all watch the wheel turn, "Or trial?" Sam finishes as the wheel finally finishes moving leaving something at the bottom. I decide to be the one to collect whatever it was at the bottom.

I stare at the object in confusion before grabbing in. "A bucket," I announce as I toss the bucket to Nate. What is a bucket to do with all this? "Huh. Okay," Sam says who is also pretty confused. I look back at the mechanism.

"Go and help Nate bring the bucket up," I tell Sam, lightly tapping his shoulder as I walk away as I wait for the brothers to bring the bucket back and once the bucket was back in its original spot now, completely filled with water.

The two statues on each side disappeared, revealing four wheels and four lights on the wheel. "Why do they always need to have puzzles," I say to myself as I stare at the wheel, trying to figure out how to activate it. I've never been good at puzzles, this is why I always allowed the brothers or someone with us to do they, I just never understood them but surprisingly I got the gist of this one.

"This is something to do with the crosses right?" I ask as I stand next to Nate, looking up at the big wheel, the four light are in a triangular form and the cross on the right is already in the light which does give us a clue on what is needed.

"Yeah. I'm guessing we're looking at Jesus, our good thief Dismas, and the jerk thief Gestas," Nathan replied looking in his notebook whilst Sam states, "Well, I'm gonna figure the white cross is Dismas,"

"The black one must be Gestas," I say and walking towards one of the wheels, looking back at the boys who nod, telling me to pull it. I felt a bit nervous about actually doing the puzzles since who knows what is going to happen once we started.

I take a deep breath before pulling it, causing the small wheel above moving the cross, I guess I have to get the bucket to the top and after a few minutes with the help of Nate and Sam I managed to get the bucket to the top and something move once the bucket went into the light.

This puzzle just gets harder and the fact that I'm not good at puzzles didn't help and I think it took at least half hour to actually complete it. "That's gotta be it," Nate announces once all the crosses and the bucket are in the correct place.

"Let's find out," Sam calls as Nate and I walk back to the switch that horrified about. "'Let's?' So you're gonna pull the switch?" Nate question as he walks towards the switch, I chuckle at Sam's response.

"Oh, no, no. I'd hate to deprive you of that privilege," 

"Of course," Nate replies before he uses his right hand to reach the switch, right now, I feel really nervous for Nate, I saw how the other guy died from putting his hand in the switch. I just really hope nothing happens now, nothing bad, something good.

I watch as Nate tug on the switch, activating the wheel and I could tell Nate felt quite happy, especially by the comment. "No shishkanates, no natekabobs today," I roll my eyes and walk towards the open entrance, walking straight past Sam who points towards the wheel and asks.

"So, if that was a test... what do you suppose it was testing, exactly? Fill a bucket?" I shrug my shoulders as Nate quickly scribbles down in his notebook before answering Sam. "Had to know about Saint Dismas, who I bet Avery and all of his crew were intimately familiar with,"

"Not that hard of a test,"

"Maybe it's not the only one?"

"By the look of the guy who we had found with his hand in the switch, must have gotten it wrong. So it was pretty hard for him," I announce, pointing towards the skeleton, who is now in pieces on the floor.

"Yeah... well..." Sam says with a shrug, I shake my head as I followed the two brothers through the cave. Climbing across until I see drop down and enter a smaller cave, between the walls. "Let's see what's in here," I hear Sam say before disappearing into the hole.

I really didn't like the idea of going into this part, but there is nowhere else to go, the only thing I wish that everything carry on going this good but I know it isn't going to last.