Let's Hook Up

Let's Hook Up

By: Vee Cole

"You're sick."

As I made my way of the clinic, I was in complete shock. I felt numb all of over my body. The words that the doctor explained to me went in one ear and out the other.

"How could this have happened?" a voice asked me in my head. I had a small little cough but I didn't think anything of it. I sometimes felt weak and faint but I didn't think anything of it. I never would've thought that I would catch something like this.

"You are HIV positive." A chill rain down my spine as the doctor's voice lingered through my head. Naw, not me not Da'monte Green the hard working hopeless romantic.

So many questions ran through my head.

"Is this my life?"

"Taking medications for the rest of my life?"
"Will I live pass 10 years?"

All of my sexual partners began to flash through my head. I began to think about every man I slept with over the past 6 months. Yeah there were quite of few guys I slept with but I always made sure to use condoms.

"Was it the guy I met at the club last month?" the voice in my head asked me. The guy name was Marcus, he was tall dark skinned with a beautiful smile. Filled with sparkly white teeth with 360 waves, tall standing about 6'2 which made me melt. It was my first time being out at the club in ages and I wasn't expecting too much of anything but a drink and some good music. Of course, I saw him eye balling me from across the club but I didn't pay him any attention because most people will stare at you and not say a word to you. I had been wearing something basic that night just some jeans with a cute t-shirt I got from H&M with a windbreaker. I stand at 5'10 I'm not fat but I also don't have a 6 pack either just an average build with a full beard and some struggling waves. I wasn't "Oh my god he's so handsome" but I wasn't ugly either.

Marcus approached and my body began to feel weak as he came my way.

"You want a drink?" he asked. I was way too stunned to say anything so I just blinked and nodded my head. The bar tender slides the drink my way my and Marcus handed the twenty-dollar bill over to the bartender.

"Thank you!" I said smiling.

"Here put your number in my phone!" he said while sliding me his phone.

I grabbed his phone and put my number into his contact list. I handed him back his phone almost dropping it, from being so goddamn shook. He just giggled and nodded his head.

"I'll you hit you up!" he said heading towards the dance floor. Marcus wasn't seen or heard of for weeks after that night.

"Was it the guy I smoked a blunt with after work?" Shaun! Shaun saw me smoking weed in my car on lunch break and ask if he could smoke with me. He wasn't really my type of nigga at all. I didn't like dread heads and I for damn sure didn't like a fat dread head. He was silly as fuck though. I never got any type of work done for him always playing around. We would smoke every other weekend after work at my place. He never talked too much about his home life or anything like that. He would only talk about the bitches at the job and that was about it. One night he called me while he was drunk and he wanted to come over and smoke a blunt with me before he went home. I was drunk as well and really had no plans after the club so I agreed to meet up with him. He came over and we didn't too much of anything we smoked a blunt and he scrolled through his Instagram showing me girls he wanted to fuck. I just enjoyed the blunt and tuned his ass out.