Chapter 8

As Sarah finished typing up the note for the last patient of the morning, her cell phone rang.  She glanced at the call display.  “Hi Danni.”

“Hi Sarah.  Just wanted to check in and say hi.  And thank you for Saturday night.  I heard you were busier than promised.”

“Just a little.”  Busier Sunday too, but hopefully Danni hadn’t caught wind of that.  “I contacted the hospital this morning and Bleeker is doing well.”

“Great.  It looked pretty serious.  Did he sever his carotid?” Danni asked.

“Yeah.  It was touch and go in the ambulance.  But the surgical team took him right away so the prognosis is excellent.”

“Thankfully.  It’s awful to see a player injured in such a fluke accident.  Thanks again for going.”

 “No problem.  Ah, did you hear about Mike Wallace too?”

  “No. I didn’t.”

  “He caught a puck in the ribs, and the x-ray came back showing a fracture.”

“Oh.  Tough break.  That’ll sting, especially for a goalie.  He’s supposed to play in the All-Star game, too.  Did you talk to him about it?”

“Yeah, it came up.  I told him he needs to be off for a week and then we’ll reassess.  He agreed, reluctantly, but he’s pretty much told me he’s playing after the week is up.”

Danni laughed.  “Don’t let him browbeat you.  He won’t want to be off, but that’s why we make that decision, and not the player, or the coaches for that matter.  You’ll know if it’s medically safe for him to go back.”

“What’s the big deal?  He was so bent out of shape when I said a rib fracture might take four weeks to heal.  If he’s so good, won’t he just slip back into the net when he’s better?”

“You’d think so.  But hockey is such a fickle sport, especially for the goalie.  If the back-up goalie gets a chance to play and is hot, the coaches may keep him in net.  Mike will be warming the bench until the back-up either messes up or gets injured, which may be never.”

“Wow, that seems harsh.  Both ways.  So that’s why he’s so strung out about this.”

“Yeah, he’s worked really hard to be the starting goalie.  And he’s consistent.  He’s just always good.  Plus he wants to play.  Every game.  So you’re going to get some resistance if you put him on the injured player list.  But like I said, you also have to do what’s safest for him in the long run.”

“Yeah, right.  And good luck with that, you might add.”

Danni laughed. “Trust your instincts.  And your excellent medical skills.”

“Sure,” she replied, rolling her eyes. “And when will you be back?” she asked sweetly.

“Next weekend...um.... Did I mention that the doctor who signed the player to the injured player list has to be the one to release him back to play?”

“What?”

“Yes, unfortunately.  I can follow him, but ultimately you’ll have to release him to play again.”

“Great.  And does Mike know this?”

“I don’t know.  It doesn’t happen often because it’s usually Trevor, Ari or me placing the player on the injured list so we’re around to sign them off.”

“OK then.  I guess I’ll see you next weekend at the rink for the practice.”

“You’ll be there?” Danni asked.

“Yes, I told him I’d go to the practice and make a decision about him playing.”

“That’s a good idea.  Thanks again, Sarah.  I know it isn’t easy for you to go to the rink.  How did that go?”

“I made it through.”  Barely.

“I really do appreciate you filling in for me.”

“Yes, I know.  How was your sister’s wedding?”  Danni and her sister were close.  Danni had been involved in the wedding preparations from the start and was just as anxious about all the details.

“It was beautiful.  Everything went off without a hitch.  Shelley looked beautiful, radiant really.  She was so happy I don’t think she would have noticed, or cared, if it didn’t go as planned.  But everything was perfect.  Even the weather cooperated.”

“It must be lovely to find that one.”

“For sure.  Shelley and Nick are best friends.  They have so much in common, like soul mates,” Danni said.  “Look, I should let you go.  You probably still have patients to see.  Thanks again, Sarah.  I’ll see you this weekend.”

“Have a good holiday, Danni.”  She frowned as she disconnected.  How could they not let Mike play again?  That wasn’t fair.  Why did it have to be so complicated?

She liked him, she really liked him.  She’d dated casually in the past, but it never lasted.  Life got busy and it never seemed worth the effort of juggling it all.  Until now.  How ironic.  A hockey player.  And a patient.  Why did she have to feel a tug and a tingle with someone so wrong?  And when he looked at her, is seemed more like disgust than lust.  He probably had a ton of women eager to fall at his feet.  Women who loved hockey.  Women who hung around arenas for fun.

It would never work.  She rubbed her heart at the pang.  Look at the bright side. No more panic attacks in arenas.  And chance meetings were unlikely.  It was ideal really, if she wanted to forget him.  She slumped.  She didn’t. 

How did she get herself into this? 

She’d see him one more time next week because she promised.  And after that, she’d be dodging Danni’s favours.