Chapter 30 ~ Unrequited Love

Knock, knock, knock.

  I've been standing outside Asher's house for the past 5 minutes and he still hasn't answered the door. 

  I turn around to leave, what's the point? He probably wasn't going to talk to me anyways, this is just him avoiding me. 

  The door bursts open before I get to the end of the sidewalk. "Hey." Asher calls out. "You weren't leaving were you?"

  I pause, not looking at him. "Hi.." I hear his footsteps coming towards me. 

  "So.." he says, now behind me. 

  I don't reply at first. He wraps his arms around my waist and sighs. "Are you mad at me..?" I whisper timidly.

  "Why would I be mad?"

  "Because," I say. "Of yesterday."

  He sighs. "What about yesterday?"

  "Well, the anniversary was amazing." I say heartedly. But then I look down glumly and exhale. "The aftermath however,"

  He nods, understanding what I'm saying. "Yeah. I know." He turns me towards him, holding my gaze.

  But looks away as soon as I'm about to say something. I sigh again and wonder if I should leave; this obviously isn't going anywhere. Just as I turn away from him, he pulls me back, into a kiss. My arm is in his grasp, his hand's in my hair and I'm resting a hand on his chest.

  "I'm sorry. About last night." he says when we part. "I was stupid, I shouldn't have gotten mad at you."

  I nod understandingly. "I know.."

  "Do you forgive me?" he asks, not letting go of me.

  I look at his face, so sincere. "Yeah. You're forgiven."

  He sighs with relief. "Good."

  I give him a fake smile. He finally releases me and I step back almost immediately.

  "Well, I've gotta get back to my mom." I lie, turning away from him.

  "Why? What's going on?" he asks.

  "Just stuff with Rory." I reply, walking fast.

  He follows me. "What stuff?"

  "Just..stuff!" I exclaim. He spins me around to face him. "What?"

  "Callie.." he sighs. "I thought today was our day."

  "It was! But.." I look away. "I need to be with my family right now.."

  He scoffs. "Oh..I see."

  "Asher don't get upset.."

  "Right. Right.." he says. "You get to blow me off but I can't get mad."

  "Asher.." I sigh.

  He pulls away from me and steps back a bit. "No, Callie."

  I don't say anything. I cross my arms and examine the ground.

  "I think.." I start. "I think we need a break."

  He stares at me. "I think so too."

  "Okay." I say, with relief. "So..I'm gonna go.."

  "Yeah..me too."

  We both stand still. "See you around, Callie." he turns away and hurries into his house.

  He slams the door, something he never does. I know he's really angry. I, however, am fine.

  I wonder if this is what Dean told Rory and she just assumed he was breaking up with her. I have to ask her about it.