24. "Dance With Me?"

26th December, 2013.

Virat’s POV

“Argh,” I muttered in my sleep due to a throbbing pain in the back of my neck. I tried to shift to a more comfortable position when something restrained me. I opened my eyes to find Satakshi’s beautiful face, still asleep, rested on my arms. In a flash, all the happenings of the previous night rushed back to me. Satakshi had asked me to stay there with her, and I had ended up dozing off beside her on the bed, in a half sitting position with Satakshi snuggled up close to me. I looked around the room to check the time.

11:25 AM, the digital clock on the opposite wall flashed.

Oh shit! I had been sleeping for so late! I was about to get up when I realised Satakshi’s hands were wrapped around my arm, the same one on which her head rested. I tried to slip off from her grip but I guess it disturbed her as she shifted a bit, and I halted right there. I surely didn’t want to ruin her sleep. I gently, with utmost care, moved her hand away from me and placed in on her side. In the same manner, I lifted her head tenderly and placed in on the soft pillow.

Finally, I was able to get up, and as soon as I did, I stretched myself. My body was aching due to the awkward, uncomfortable posture in which I had slept last night. On top of that, I hadn’t even been able to change into my night clothes.

I grabbed my phone which I’d placed on the side table before going to bed and was about to sit down on the couch when I sensed that I was about to sneeze. Neither have I ever been able to suppress my sneeze nor have I ever sneezed silently enough not to disturb anyone. Yeah, I sneeze a little bit too loudly, which was sure to awaken Satakshi. Not wanting to destroy her beauty sleep, I rushed out of the bedroom into the lounge.

“Aaacchooo!” I sneezed just when I was out of the room. Like this, I went on sneezing for about five minutes. Damn, I had caught a really bad cold! But how did I get it? It then dawned upon me—I had gotten wet in the rain yesterday! That’s the reason! I so hate this rain! Then I realized Satakshi must have also caught a cold. She didn’t even get to dry herself last night, and she was wearing a really short dress.

I picked up the intercom and ordered two mugs of hot chocolate, thinking that Satakshi would feel better after having it. She might not have a cold but I was sure she would be having a terrible headache from last night’s hangover.

I then plopped down on the comfy couch and unlocked my phone, which was flooded with missed calls from Raina, Yuvi, Mahi bhai and Vinnie. Wow, I seem to be in great demand!  I then noticed I had received a couple of text messages too, but a particular one caught my eye—

Arnav (12:13 AM):

Hey, I had some urgent work and I left for Delhi. Sorry, couldn’t meet you.

He suddenly left for Delhi? Out of the blue? Something had seriously happened, but the question is what? I know Satakshi rejected him, but then what was she doing on the beach, where I was supposed to meet him? There were so many questions on my head, and the only one who can answer them was Arnav. Satakshi most probably won’t remember anything about the previous night so it would be futile asking her. I at once dialled Arnav’s number and pressed the phone against my ears, waiting in anticipation for him to receive the call. The phone rang and rang and finally it went to his voicemail. Damn!

Soon after, I heard a knock on the door, followed by a voice saying “Room Service, Sir.” I at once turned to look at Satakshi, and heaved a sigh of relief when I saw she was still sleeping soundly. I went to the door and opened it, to reveal the room service guy standing there with a tray in his hand. I was about to let him enter but then I realized he would freak out on seeing Satakshi in my room and I didn’t want unnecessary gossip about it. So instead, I took the tray from him, shut the door behind me and placed the tray on the table. I again sat down on the couch, which, by the way, faced the sofa. While waiting for Satakshi to wake up, I started admiring her. Again.