Maybe We'll Lose Ourselves

This chapter is a bit longer. Have fun while reading.
*****

"Dr. Mercer. I should ask you if you already have the consent." Suddenly a voice came out of the background.

"Not now, Nick." Tried Dr. Mercer stifled an incoming clerk and wanted to make it clear that this was not the right moment.

"But Dr. Garner wants to know if he can start with his preparations around Mister Barlows ...!" The nurse remained obstinate, so he didn't know what was happening in the background and when he discovered Howard and Jason, he immediately interrupted himself.

When this nurse talked about some sort of preparations, mentioning Gary's name, Howard and Jason reigned and released Gary from an intimate and warm hug. With a huge question mark over their heads, the two of them saw each other alternately to the doctor and this almost rattled nurse. Preparations? For what? What should that mean again? What adventurous measure did they want to have Gary subjected to?

"What preparations? What on earth are you going to do with Gary?" Jason wanted to know what it was about.

Dr. Mercer glanced at the two friends and then turned to Gary, who was still motionless in his corner. Somehow the doctor seemed to be wrestling with the words. Not knowing where to start. It was obviously unpleasant for him to take their measure. How likely was it that this was not quite the typical healing process and could have a considerable aftertaste? The suspicion grew increasingly as the doctor once breathed a sigh of relief and tried to clarify the approach.

"As there are no signs of improvement and he doesn't even respond to our treatment in any way, we've no choice but to take a drastic measure."

Howard and Jason looked at each other to confirm their assumption and got a bad feeling at the same time. While Jason was still kneeling on Gary's side, Howard immediately went to his two legs and took a step forward until he stood between his little friend and the doctor.

"You will do nothing of the sort. No matter what it may be, you will not get too close to him or even twinkle's a tiny hair." Howard, without much thought, let out his protective instinct.

"Listen. I can well understand that you want to protect a friend who needs help and also your friendship in all honors, but you shouldn't question my work. We want only the best for him. If he is to find a way back to life, please let me do my work." The doctor Howard tried to make clear that they all had the same goal and that one should let him do his work.

Howard gave him an embittered look, and went back to Gary's side, defeated and somewhat reluctantly. That he couldn't protect his friend and was so damned to watch, as Gary was helpless to the doctors, he just couldn't look. Slowly, a deep emptiness rose in him, where he felt he was in an airless room.

"And how is your measure to look?" Jason tried to find something to frighten him.

"Have you ever heard of Honoré de Balzac?" He asked back.

"Do you mean the French writer? What does he have to do with Gary now?" Jason could start with the name after all and was thus a concept, but did not understand what Dr. Mercer wanted."

Actually nothing, but he had once said something, which is the key to our success. ...The memories embellish life, but forgetting alone makes it bearable." Tried Dr. Mercer to him by means of an old and wise saying, the further proceeding cautiously communicates.

"You ...you're serious about wanting to take his memories? You can not be serious about it?" Jason had a dark foreboding, what the doctor wanted to tell them.