[ONE]

Brooks & Dunn blared through the sound system of the small, instrument filled room. The bass of the music resonated off the weathered rigid wood floors. The large window that showed the world outside of the dark and lonely house showed the lightening cracked across the dreary sky that evening. The house seemed colder despite the mid-August heat being worse than it had been in years.

"A Man This Lonely" continued to play throughout the house on a continuous loop. The words struck a chord in the man's heart as he watched the dark sky overhead. Not too far down the road, a white SUV drove away from the home. As he continued to stare out the window, his heart broke more and more. A gut wrenching and heated argument had gone down moments before she walked out. Without a second thought or glance, she walked out of his life with the front door crashing into its place.

"Screw this." Said the man whose eyes were now filled with anger instead of tears. "I don't need her."

He briskly put on a pair of cracked, scuffed cowboy boots and grabbed the keys to his glistening black truck parked out in the drive way. As soon as he turned over the engine, the radio station played the song he wrote for her. Without thinking much about it, he quickly found another station to listen to. Now, thunder rolled once more, causing him to jump up and bump his head on the top of his truck. He cursed aloud and turned out of the drive way, accelerating towards the nearest establishment possible for a drink stronger than the Miller Lite he had stocked in his fridge.

After tearing down the road and killing the engine to the truck in a space furthest from the door, he hopped out and ambled into the bar. As far as being bothered by fans was concerned, no one knew him well enough at the time to be recognized by many people. The bar tender welcomed him with the usual, "Howdy Luke. What'll you be drinking tonight?", but noticed he was not in the highest of spirits at the time. The bartender, Joe, quickly set down a glass and served up Jack Daniel's whiskey for Luke. As if on cue, the same song Luke had been blasting at home came on the overhead speakers of the bar.

"Joe, I don't mean to be bother but do you mind turning the music to something less tear jerking. I'm sure others would also appreciate it." Joe rummaged about for a few seconds before getting the remote to the sound system and soon Alan Jackson played. Line dancing broke out on the dance floor and Luke leaned against the countertop, watching fellow drinkers stumble along to the music. A little black dress and pair of high heels caught his attention after several line dances and shots of whiskey later. He was mesmerized by the tan legs that were attached to the heels, his vision panned up past the black fabric of the dress and found a pearly grin, ice blue gems in her eyes, and golden hair. Luke stood up as a slow song came on, ran his hands down the front of his shirt, adjusted his hat and cut through the dance floor towards the young lady. She stood in a group with a few other women and conversed while sipping from a foggy mug of beer. The group all turned their gazes to Luke as he tried to coolly introduce himself.

"Pardon me interrupting y'all's conversation," he stated confidently, "but do you mind if I borrow your friend here for a dance or two?" He gave his classic grin and extended his hand out to the woman with ice blue eyes he had spotted. She set down her mug on the table behind her and took his invitation to dance. He led her to the middle of the floor and pulled her in close as they swayed in time to the music.

A dance or two turned into many more as they got to talking. By the end of it he got that the woman's name was Caroline, and she was only a few years younger than Luke. Her personality radiated in everything she did and her sweet, smooth accent had Luke hanging on to every word she spoke. Both Luke and Caroline sat down at the bar after several dances later to have a few drinks. Luke was surprised to see Caroline shooting straight whiskey with him and added it to the many things he found attractive about her.

"I think it's ironic that you're in a bar full of sad drunks but you're the happiest person in this place." Caroline said abruptly as they both felt something a little stronger than a buzz hit them. Luke considered telling her about the woman who just walked out on him but decided to keep that as a secret.

"Well, I could say the same about you. I could also say I'm surprised that your boyfriend hasn't walked up and punched me square in the jaw yet." Luke let out a hearty chuckle that sent shivers down Caroline's spine. She found his tuft of dark, brunette hair, long eyelashes, and beautiful brown eyes melted her when he looked at her intently as she spoke. He looked at her in a way as if he didn't want to blink because he was terrified of missing a single moment. Caroline let out a small laugh in response and realized that he was partially joking and partially being completely serious. She ordered them another round of alcohol and down it went, round after round.

Joe later stood on his own counter top and hollered to everyone that he would be closing in less than 10 minutes. Bar flies began to exit through the doors and got into their vehicles or taxis that had been called for them. Caroline's group of friends approached and tried to get her to leave with them. She let them go on their way as Luke grabbed her by the hand again and took for one last spin on the now empty dance floor. There was a tightness in her chest she couldn't explain and butterflies in the pit of her stomach as she clung on to Luke while he led her around the hard pine floor. She stumbled over her own feet and let out a loud laugh which made Luke grin from ear to ear, let out a chuckle then make a joke about her coordination.

Joe let them both out and locked up his bar for the night. Caroline walked over to her car after saying good bye to Luke, who was throwing up behind the tailgate of his truck as she unlocked her car door. She heard him gasping for breath as he vomited on the parking lot dirt. She found an extra t-shirt in her trunk then hustled over to his aide. His eyes bugged out of embarrassment when he saw Caroline. Truth was, he hadn't been that intoxicated in years.

"There's no way in hell you're driving home right now." She handedover the baby blue shirt to Luke so he could wipe the vomit from his mouth.After much protest, Caroline was able to get Luke in her car. The instant sheturned down the paved road, Luke let out a loud snore. He seemed too peaceful to wake him, so she drove to her own home.

Author's Note:

Hello all, I would first like to apologize for my seven month long hiatus. I recently found the motivation to begin writing again. I worked super hard on this chapter and decided to really change things up with this book. I really do hope you enjoy it.

Also, if you did not know already the last chapter for "Faded Away" is up!

Thanks to everyone who continues to read whatever I put out. I truly appreciate it and I didn't think that after two years I'd still be doing this.

Please feel free to comment your thoughts about this new book so far. I'll update when I can so your patience is greatly appreciated.

-Sam