Russia In Revolution

Russia in Revolution

"I've seen Nathan Dean"

Four words that stop me mid-action, as I'm spooning cereal into my mouth. It's not even nine in the morning and already he's ruining my day. It seems there's no escaping him.

The spoon hangs in mid-air for a moment, before it drops noisily back into the bowl, splashing milk everywhere.

Bella tuts from behind me. She hands me a paper towel to mop the milk up with. "Thanks" I say begrudgingly, starting with my clothes that have been splashed. I then turn my attention to the table, mopping up the pools of liquid before they can stain my mother's precious marble breakfast bar.

"Where have you seen him?" I ask, and Bella smiles that charming grin that seems to wrap everyone around her finger. Everyone except me, of course.

"In town, as I was getting a coffee, this morning" She says casually, taking a seat beside me at the breakfast bar. She opens a magazine, and begins flipping through the pages nonchalantly, knowing I'm dying to know more information.

"Did he say anything?" I ask, and Bella turns to face me, her eyebrow raised in pleasure. She's loving the thrill of knowing something I don't.

"He said hello, of course. He was very charming, and still as funny as ever. He's grown up well, he's so handsome now" Bella comments, and I gag a little.

"He's not handsome" I say, and Bella smirks at me.

"If you say so. I asked him about his teaching and he tells me you're in his class" Bella informs me, and I nod.

"Unfortunately" I mutter, and she tucks her hair behind her ear, turning the page of the magazine very precisely.

"I'd think myself very lucky to be in a class where the teacher was that good looking. And hey, he'll probably give you special treatment, considering everything" Bella taunts, a snide smile on her face. She stands to her feet, picking up the magazine "You'll just have to make sure Jake isn't too jealous"

With that, she sweeps out of the room, leaving me to grit my teeth. She knows exactly the right things to say to get under my skin.

Then again, she's had years to hone the skill. Bella and I have never been close, and I doubt we ever will be. She flounces around the place like she owns it.

And to make matters worse, she went out with Jake's other brother Duke a few years back, and doesn't hesitate to remind me that she was a part of the Frances family first. The one who introduced Mum to Mrs Frances in the first place.

I finish my bowl of cereal, placing it into the sink, and my phone buzzes. It's Paige, telling me she's outside.

I grab my stuff, and head for the door. I shout a brief goodbye to no response, and head out. Paige waves at me from the driver's seat, and I walk around the car to get into the passenger side. "Good morning" She greets cheerily.

"Is it?" I say, and Paige laughs at me. She sets off driving, and I can see her eyes flicking to my shaking leg.

"It's only an hour of history, and it's right at the end of the day" Paige reminds me, and I nod.

"Exactly- meaning I've got the whole day to worry about it" I point out, and Paige sighs, turning the corner to school. We're not far away now.

"He's not that bad" Paige insists. She's wrong. She doesn't know him like I do.