Chapter 32

"Is there a reason you dragged us into the middle of the woods or do you just like going on spontaneous hikes?" Mason asks aloud as I finally stop walking and turn to face him and Kane.

It is barely dawn so everything around us is a tinted blue color. It had taken a lot of pleading plus multiple promises of what I would do for him later to get Kane to finally get out of bed and follow me into the woods at this ungodly hour. As for Mason, all I had to say was a simple "come on" and he was on his feet.

"We're not in the middle of the forest. The road is right there" I correct, pointing to my left where, barely a hundred feet away, the gravel road ran down the hill towards our village.

"Why are we even in the woods anyway Bridge" Kane speaks up, rubbing his tired eyes. "What do you possibly have to say to us that couldn't be said at the village?"

"I didn't want to be overheard" I answer. "Plus, I wouldn't put it past Aga to have security bugged all of the rooms. 'For my safety' I'm sure" I dryly state.

"And what do you have to say that you don't want to be overheard?" Mason asks, looking slightly worried.

I look over the two men in front of me before explaining. "I've been thinking about the kind of government we're going to create for Terrian. If Aga and the rest of them are right and the people choose me to be their leader, I want people around me that I can trust."

I sigh before looking at Mason. "I don't trust Aga to not try and gain power after I've done her dirty work and killed Jack. When that time comes there is going to be a power vacuum and there will be a race to fill it. I don't want another Jack so we're going to need to act fast.

"We need to immediately have elections and for that to happen I need to already have a group of people at my side that I trust and that I can go to for guidance. People I know that aren't corrupt. That don't just want to take as much power as possible."

Mason understands exactly what I'm saying. "And you want us at your side" he finishes for me.

I nod. "I know you're still new to the freedom of being able to make your own decisions and the last thing you probably want is to be dragged right back into that political shark tank but I'm asking you to consider, if the time comes, being my second-in-command."

Mason raises his brows but doesn't say anything. I take that as a cue to go on.

"If anything happens to me, I want to know that Terrian is still in good hands. If I should die or fail to successfully run the country, I want the position of president to fall onto you. You know how to lead people and I trust nobody else with this kind of responsibility. You would help me make decisions and policies and I would turn to you for guidance when needed. This is all hypothetical, assuming we are actually able to kill Jack and I am actually voted into office. But if that does happen, can I trust you to be my right hand man?"

Mason is silent, contemplating my offer for a moment. He finally speaks. "I can think of no greater honor than being your trusted second-in-command. I can not promise that when that time comes I won't have second thoughts on becoming that for you, but I do believe that if we get out of this alive, I would be honored to accept your offer."

I give him a small smile. "I don't need a definite answer. I just hope you'll think about it."

When Mason nods, I turn towards Kane who is studying me with nothing but respect in his eyes.

"Kane" I breathe out, feeling my insides warm at the simple glee I get from saying his name.

"Morgans" he replies with a hint of a smile. It has been so long since he has called me by my last name that I almost cry out in nostalgia.