Chapter 1

College. I was finally going to University! The day the letter of admission came, I literally screamed in joy. I can't stress enough on how euphoric I was. And to be able to go to another country at that. I had never left home for anything. I grew up with very protective parents and so I never was able to get out of my comfort zone and explore or take responsibility. The thought of responsibility and living alone scared the daylights out of me. That was enough for me to decide that it's time I dealt with things independently.

I had applied for universities in Ireland and south korea. Ireland because, well, you know, it's Ireland; it's beautiful. Korea because their culture was intriguing and their education system is commendable. Sadly, for some reason I couldn't make the cut for the University in Ireland. Disappointment was piling from Korea as well, Seoul national University had already rejected me. But Yonsei University sent me my acceptance letter and my happiness knew no bounds.

Ofcourse everyone except my bestfriend was happy about it.

“I don't understand why KOREA. Or anywhere for that matter. Won't you get exposure here, let's go to a uni in our country. I'll come too. But no you want to go to Korea. Hmpf.” She whined.

Michelle and I were the typical childhood buddies. From the time I cried when she took away my favourite crayon to talking about boys, we were always there for eachother.

“Mich, I'll miss you.”

“Shut up, don't go emo on me.”

“ You know I need this.”

“ Yes I understand that part, but it's so far away. You don't know anyone there.”

“Well, that's exactly why I'm going. I'll be okay, I'm staying in the uni dorm anyway.”

“ Whatever.” She folded her arms across her chest and looked away.

I had to leave for Incheon airport in two weeks. Finally the day came, I was all packed, determined to prove myself. My parents and Mich came to see me off. I think that's the first time I saw Mich so clingy. ( I'm the clingy one. Always.) With a heavy heart and promises of future Skype calls I set off.

Korea, here I come.