8. Return of the Misfits

~Deserted Highway~

‘Leo?’ Piper blinked in surprise, her tone utterly disbelieving. ‘Nico?’

‘Can we join the party?’ Leo asked casually. ‘We saw the disco lights from Long Island and thought, where better to be?’

‘You thought,’ the girl behind him corrected. ‘I thought we should just go to camp.’

‘Nothing’s ever that simple,’ Nico grumbled with a roll of his eyes.

‘Calypso?’ Percy’s eyes would’ve come out if they popped any further.

‘In the flesh,’ she giggled. ‘You’re looking well, Perseus.’

Percy made a sound like he was choking, like when food went down the wrong pipe. Nico, Leo and Calypso jumped down, laughing.

‘What’s the matter, Percy?’ Calypso asked. ‘Fish got your tongue?’

‘How-’ he croaked.

‘Percy!’ Jason yelled. ‘Any time now, buddy.’

The son of Poseidon’s eyes widened, ‘Annabeth!’

Piper, being a daughter of Aphrodite, thought that Calypso would’ve been jealous or frowned or something. But the island girl just looked concerned and wound her hand around Leo’s. With her long, soft caramel hair and her large brown eyes, Calypso was definitely not the type Piper would’ve thought would go for Leo. Piper  was glad her friend had finally found someone who cared about him.

Leo, Nico, Calypso, Percy and Piper quickly rushed over to Annabeth, Jason and Hazel. Percy knelt at Annabeth’s side and fished some ambrosia out of his backpack. He broke off a piece and handed it to her, which she ate as gingerly as someone might pull the pin from a grenade. After a few moments, Percy helped her sit up against his chest.

‘Better?’ he asked.

‘Better,’ she confirmed with a nod.

‘Thank the gods,’ Percy said. Then he looked up at Calypso, ‘You’re free.’

She smiled, ‘Thanks to a number of gadgets by Leo. He’s the only one who ever came back for me.’

Percy stared at ground guiltily, ‘Calypso, I’m really sorry-’

‘Don’t be,’ she interrupted gently, kneeling down next to him. ‘It’s me who should be sorry. Leo told me about Tartarus and the curses down there. It’s my fault the both of you nearly died.’

‘Well, we almost died a number of time in a number of ways.’

‘Nevertheless,’ Calypso said, ‘I can never forgive myself. I was bitter and angry, but I had no right to take that out on you. You had a job to do and a girl who needed you. Or whom you needed.’

Percy gazed down at Annabeth who looked back up sleepily, ‘She’s my everything.’

‘Aw,’ Piper cooed. ‘That’s so sweet.’ She realized everyone was looking at her funny. ‘I interrupted a perfectly good moment, didn’t I? Don’t mind me.’

Calypso shook her head with a soft laugh, ‘I never meant to hurt either of you. It was curse made in a moment blinded by anger and resentment. I hope you’ll forgive me.’

Percy put a comforting hand on her shoulder and smiled, ‘Only as long as you forgive me. I never followed up and made sure the gods kept their promise.’

‘Why don’t you both forgive each other and we can all get back to the matter at hand,’ Jason suggested.

‘Sounds good to me,’ Percy agreed. He held out a hand, ‘Friends?’

‘Friends,’ Calypso took his hand in hers and gave it a small shake. ‘Now what is this matter at hand?’

‘Uh,’ Percy scratched the back of his neck awkwardly. ‘It’s our friend Frank.’

‘What’s he done now?’ Leo asked with an eye roll.

‘He kinda turned into a rabbit for Easter,’ Piper explained. ‘It was my fault, I charmspeaked him. But something spooked him and he ran and somehow ended up in a pet store where a kid bought him and he can’t change back into a human, so he’s pretty stuck.’

Calypso, Leo and Nico blinked, their mouths hanging open slightly as if they didn’t quite know if their ears were functioning properly or not.

‘Hold on just a sec,’ Leo said, waving his hands about. ‘It’s Easter?’

Jason, Percy, Annabeth, Hazel and Piper groaned, slapping their hands to the heads in disbelief.

‘We give you on everything going down, and that’s what you focus on?’ Percy asked, astounded.

‘What do you expect?’ Piper grumbled. ‘He’s Leo.’

‘We have to get moving if we want to help your friend,’ Calypso said. ‘Do you know where he is?’

Annabeth checked her map, ‘The magic dot’s gone. But luckily, I thought ahead. I marked where it stopped and hopefully Frank will still be there.’

‘Then come on,’ Leo said, climbing on Festus’ back and holding out a hand for Calypso who climbed on behind him. ‘It’s going to be uncomfortable with so many of us, but we should be able to get there all in one piece. Annabeth, hand me the map would you?’

Annabeth struggled to her feet with Percy’s help and reached the map to Leo who quickly scanned it and grinned. Then they all climbed behind Leo and Calypso, trying to fit in the limited number of indentation on Festus’ back. Annabeth and Piper ended up sitting on Percy and Jason’s laps. Leo gave the map a once over before folding it back up and putting it in his shirt pocket.

‘Up, up and away,’ he announced.

Festus’ stretched his wings. Percy, Annabeth and Hazel had never ridden the bronze dragon before, and Percy and Hazel were especially nervous that Zeus would strike them down with a bolt. They barely had time to pray that the sky god was in a merciful mood before Leo moved Festus into the air, whopping and cheering while the others clutched at the metal dragon in fear.