[-3-]

[-3-]
Something New

"You owe me five bucks Undyne."

"Shut up PJ."

She snapped back at me, slapping my arm. BP looked at us in annoyance. 

"Did you guys really bet on the new kid?"

"Hey, she's the one that wouldn't let it down."

"PJ this is a school of monsters. Why would they let a human stay here?"

I shrugged. Honestly, I had thought the bet was a waste of money. I get what she meant, though. 

This was Underhigh. Literally the school of monsters. Humans made this because they feared us. This world was crazy. They act like we are killers that would attack if you got close. That's what children are taught at young ages. They learn to fear us over nothing. The fact that this girl was obviously unafraid of being completely surrounded by monsters... Was odd. I was sure she could feel everyone's burning gaze. Everyone's confusion. I'm sure she could feel her soul burn brighter in her chest with every step she took. Even for a human teenager, there was something intimidating about her. 

She was only wearing basic clothing, so it wasn't that. She wasn't very tall nor was she short, so it wasn't that. She didn't have a glare or stern expression, so it wasn't that. She seemed completely normal. 

No powers. 

No dark past. 

No drama. 

Just...

Normal.

"Yo PJ you've been looking at her for a minute."

"Sorry, just thinking."

Undyne hummed to show her interest as we began to walk to class. I adjusted the strap of my backpack on my shoulder to a more comfortable spot. 

"Just wondering... Do you feel it?"

"You mean, that feeling?" 

"Yeah. And with the new girl."

Undyne nodded, already knowing what the feeling was. It's something everyone feels when present, but is only when the person is truly skilled.

A feeling of power. 

But, a human? We must have been feeling wrong. Only monsters can give off that aura. 

Or do they?

"Whatever, it's probably nothing."

Undyne seemed so sure of herself. She was always like that. Always knowing she was right, even though she mostly wasn't. 

All through out the time before homeroom started, my thoughts were racing around. That would surely leave my mind scrambled in time to be a mess for school, but I couldn't help it. Nothing made up when it came to this girl.

She seems to normal, so average, just one in a million.

But her aura is so strong, so powerful and fearless. 

Humans were always afraid. Of them. Of anything.

But she...

She was not.

The teacher came in and pulled me away from my thoughts. He walked to the front of class, saying good morning, greetings from the weekend, and started taking attendance. My gaze wondered out to the window, gazing at the perfect view of the city. Rows upon rows of homes, businesses, and maybe even more schools. Small cars driving through the intertwining streets between all the buildings. Most would find it totally aggravating at the chaos and organization the city lacked. I found the discord pleasing, calming almost. Just watching cars whiz out of veiw was exciting to me. 

I had always been fond of cars; models, colors, sizes, speed, they all fascinated me. Though, when ever I got close to one, my mind would blur. When I was crossing the road, my soul would beat a little faster. I had never known why. Maybe I never will.

"Paperjam."

"Present."

My voice sounded to nonchalant, which made sense since I was bored out of my mind. 

"Pst."

 I turned slightly to Skate, who sat behind me. A small slip of paper was in between her slim fingers. 

"It's from BP."

I took it gently, and she quickly pretended to turn her attention back to the teacher. I turned back and unfolded the note.

'Hey, are you okay dude? You obviously don't seem like it. 

Is it about them?'

There was more, but I lost my temper after reading that line. I hated it when people brought them up. The paper was balled up and thrown onto the floor. I started paying attention to the teachers words, to get the thoughts out of my head. 

But, as always, they stayed.

Like a small quiet voice in the room.

This is why I hate it when people remind me of them.

My family.

I hate it. 

I hate it when they crawl back into my mind.

I hate it that people remind me.

I hate it. I hate it.

I hate it...

... because they're dead.