II.

In which a ball has promise that it ultimately does not deliver on, and a lady is accosted.

The evening of the Dunley ball, Charlotte found herself to be in fine form indeed.

At her grandmother’s suggestion at the start of the season, Mrs. Penny had ordered her a gown in pale lavender to complement her complexion. Charlotte was delighted to find that it suited her well, with its low-cut bodice trimmed in ribbons, and elaborate bustle, trailing with silk flowers. Her lady’s maid had fashioned her dark hair into an intricate coiffure, with a few stray curls loosely resting at her neck.

Charlotte did not own a great deal of jewelry, but a plain ribbon tied about the neck was a more than acceptable accessory. When she had observed her countenance in her silvered looking-glass, she found herself pleased by the result.

The rest of the Penny clan had not disappointed either. Mrs. Penny had elected to wear her maroon frock after all, with her mother’s garnet brooch prominently displayed at her throat. Charlotte correctly noted that her grandmother must not be attending at that observation. Lady Florent had bemoaned a headache, and opted out of the endeavor.

George was effortlessly dapper as always, having nearly just rolled out of his bed and yet looking the part of a society dandy. He was enviably blasé about such things. Even Mr. Penny had washed the ink off his fingertips, and had linked arms with his wife with a certain youthful spring in his steps.

Lady Florent had seen them off at their carriage, encouraging them all to behave the best they could, and seek to make valuable matches. Her gaze had lingered on Charlotte at that, and she had done her best to appear reflective at the prospect.

Whereas the Penny family made do with a townhouse, like most respectable land-owning families who holidayed in London, the Dunleys were wealthy enough to possess a rather intimidating hall, even in addition to their vast estate. Mrs. Penny inhaled through her teeth as their carriage was allowed in through the imposing iron gates, eyes darting at the stone angels lining the driveway.

George, noting their mother’s terse reaction, was quick to make jovial conversation with his sister. “Lotte, the officers are back in town. There’s bound to be three gentleman to any lady. You can behave however you like and never want for a partner.”

Mrs. Penny gave him a long-suffering look, but refrained from scolding her beloved son, choosing instead to engage her husband in conversation as if she could not hear her children. Charlotte laughed behind her gloves. “How fortunate. My sufferings are finally at an end.” In truth, as much as Charlotte was cheered by the presence of soldiers, it was just one in particular she hoped to see. If anything, George seemed to enjoy the company of soldiers more than anyone. Lady Florent had often remarked on it, seeing it as a sign of his boisterous masculinity.

The Penny siblings eagerly stepped from the carriage after the plodding pace of their parents, both projecting a certain aloof disinterest with the chatter and string music in the distance. The facade slipped considerably once they were allowed in the great hall.

The Dunley ballroom glittered with hundreds of candles, illuminating the lush paintings above their heads, depicting scenes of Grecian mythology. Charlotte nearly craned her neck identifying a tableau of the muses.

The hall was filled with the swirling shapes of dancers, men in fine black suits or fetching red officer’s uniforms, and the women looking to be a rainbow of blossoms from the distance, with a myriad of colors to their voluminous gowns.

George’s prediction hadn’t been wrong. All the figures waiting on the sidelines were men, and though many of them were happily enmeshed in conversation, she immediately noticed a few glancing her way. The director of ceremonies was quick to introduce himself and present the two ladies of the family with dance cards, and it was scarcely a moment after he’d left the four that a mustachioed gentleman in an officer’s uniform was requesting Charlotte’s hand for the next set.