Grey

GrayLu Week 2017: Grey

* * *

The rain was endless.

A seemingly limitless cascade of water flowed down the window as the drops tapped away, her surroundings slow and quiet for once in a while. The sky had been the same dull grey for days, and the weather seemed to be affecting the whole town. Lucy sighed, resting her chin in her palm while a deep feeling of dread spread through her bones at the thought of going home.

"Hey, Lucy."

The blonde looked up from her day dreaming, the deep voice startling her back to reality. She watched as Gray slid into the booth across from her.

"Why are you shirtless?" Lucy asked, her voice monotone as her eyes drifted back to the window. Gray chuckled.

"I'm always shirtless," he responded.

"That's not a good reason," Lucy mumbled.

Gray laughed, leaning forward onto the table as he folded his arms in front of him. Lucy mindlessly reached for the mug of tea she'd ordered, though it had long grown cold while her thoughts wandered in the corner of the tiny pub. "How'd you find me?" she asked.

Gray didn't say anything at first, but eventually shrugged. "You haven't been hanging out at the guild. I figured you were feeling down."

Lucy scoffed, although she couldn't deny his words. Her usually very sunny disposition had been compromised by this damn rain, her mind drifting almost constantly. It was starting to affect her writing. She bit her lip for a moment.

"I can't seem to write," her words fell from her mouth before she could catch them, and more were tumbling out. "I'm frustrated and sitting at the guild with all the noise and distractions is driving me crazy, and I can't go home because if I go home then I face the crushing defeat of a blank page and I can't seem to do anything about it!"

She finished her small rant out of breath, and Gray frowned in response. She still wouldn't meet his gaze. "Do you think it's the weather?"

Lucy only nodded. The silence was stiff, as if she were miles and miles away from where they sat; she couldn't think straight enough to get a coherent sentence on paper. Gray had been the only one she'd been sharing her writing with for months. It was mutually beneficial, she told herself: she got good feedback, and he got something to read when he wanted to be dark and broody.

But really, she'd just become addicted to the swell of pride she felt when he smiled and begged her to write more.

"Luce?"

Lucy had faded out again. "Sorry," she mumbled, shaking her head back and forth, as if the shaking would knock the words out of her. Gray reached across the table and tentatively touched her arm, and for the first time since he'd sat down, she looked to his eyes. He was smiling encouragingly, his hair slightly damp from having walked in from the cold downpour outside. Even Lucy had to admit, Gray was mesmerizing.

"Maybe we just have to knock the ideas loose," Gray reasoned. Lucy shook her head again, forcing herself to return to reality.

"Wha—" Lucy was taken aback as Gray jumped up, grabbing her wrist. "Gray, where are we going?"

Her teammate began dragging her toward the entrance, a mischievous grin sneaking across his lips. "I'm gonna help," he reasoned, stopping just short of opening the door to the pouring rain. "Do you trust me?"

Lucy hesitated. "Gray, it's miserable outside."

"Do you trust me?" he asked again.

"You're not even fully dressed," she spoke.

"Do you trust me?" his words repeated.

"We're going to get sick," she insisted.

"Lucy."

The celestial mage looked at him, really looked at him, and he gave her the most tentative of smiles. "Do. You. Trust. Me?"

Lucy bit her lip, her chest feeling lighter and lighter every moment he was watching her. "Yeah."

As soon as Lucy's lips moved, the door burst open in front of them. Lucy held her breath as Gray drug her out into the middle of the street, the rain pelting her body from every angle as the ice mage pulled her along. Gray laughed like a child as he looked up into the sky.

Lucy had to admit; the rain was exhilarating. "What now?" her voice cut through the sound of a building storm, and when Gray looked at her, she could have sworn her breath had been stolen from her, taken from her lungs to join the wind being realized around her.

"Dance with me," Gray said. Lucy was almost startled at the suggestion, blushing at the thought of being closer to him with that damn smile on his face. "I want to dance with you, Lucy."

The rain came down harder than ever, but Lucy was suddenly unable to hear it. She felt Gray pull her closer and take her hand. It started off silly: over exaggerated movements, dizzy spinning, and crazy lifts where Lucy was thrown into the air, only to be caught by an ever-vigilant Gray. But at some point, it stopped being about the goofy nature of dancing in the rain. The company of one another was intoxicating, and Lucy found herself drawn into his chest, her head resting over the guild mark under his collar bone. Gray's arms were around her waist, and they were swaying, their bodies naturally moving back and forth to a rhythm only they could hear.

"Gray?"

Their eyes met, and with a newfound appreciation for the storm, a confidence formed in Lucy's chest. "Kiss me."

Gray couldn't hide his shock at her bold approach. "What?"

Lucy grinned. "I want you to kiss me, Gray."

His eyes searched hers, his heart pounding underneath her palms. "Can I?"

Lucy nodded, smiling encouragingly. Gray only hesitated a moment more, before his lips were suddenly pressed against hers. The kiss was chilled against the soaking wet nature of the rain, but the warmth that radiated between them was enough to make Gray pull her closer, his fingers entangling in her long, golden hair.

Lucy pulled away suddenly, pushing his chest. "I've gotta go!" she exclaimed, turning on her heels. Gray caught her by the arm, pulling her back.

"Where are you going?" he asked, fearing suddenly he'd done something wrong. But Lucy smiled; he could see the grey clouds parting slight behind her.

"I've got to get home!" Lucy laughed. "I know what to write!"

Gray couldn't help but chuckle. "Well can I come by later to get the next chapter?"

Lucy threw her bead back and laughed, waving at him as she hurried down the road, yelling back to him as she ran.

"Definitely!"