Chapter 3

"Ardamore..." Seb echoed, "Why am I here?"

"To fix your mistakes," the dragon growled, "You must restore time's essence to the Great Clock, the World all round."

"But what... What happens if I can't?" Sebastian by this point was seriously doubting his capabilities and was uncertain of whether or not he could do this. "What about you?"

Ardamore snorted in disgust, "The Time Hawk is not truly part of this world; like you, some part of it remains in the Outside, and so I, -like all creatures from Inside - cannot affect it. You are our only hope, and if you fail... Even I will cease to exist, for time is now ticking backwards at an accelerated pace. Seasons are passing in the blink of an eye and only you can stop it."

Sebastian laughed, but it was completely devoid of any mirth and his face was white as a sheet. "Me! Are you kidding?"

Ardamore growled menacingly, baring his fangs and lashing his tail furiously.

"No. You made the mess and you have to clean it up!"

Suddenly a piercing shriek cut through the air and there was a flash of red and gold feathers as from out of white clouds swooped Xinohth, feathers alight with flames and identical to how it had been on the clock, save far, far larger.

"What do I do!" Seb wailed and his eyes bulged outwards.

"Around it's neck! The stone!" The dragon roared, and sure enough, hanging round it's neck was the very same onyx gemstone from Sebastian's father's clock. "You must shatter it!" With a deep gulp, Seb started to sprint -rather reluctantly, mind you- towards where the Time Hawk was landing. Nearby, trees ignited and the grass around the phoenix's golden talons crumbled to ash. Though daunted, Sebastian did not falter, and continued to charge the bestial creature. Rearing, Xinohth prepared to strike and beat it's blazing wings with ferocity. Bracing himself for impact, Seb then barrelled into the bird, screaming at the excruciating pain clawing at his side. Xinohth shrieked furiously and lunged ruthlessly. Though clutching his shoulder weakly, Seb dodged and the phoenix attempted to strike it missed him marginally. Hissing between tightly clenched teeth, Sebastian couldn't help but feel satisfied by what lay in his hand- he had snatched the the onyx. With what little strength he had left, Sebastian hurled the stone towards a hard slate boulder onto which it promptly shattered.

And then there was void. "Thank you, Seb" a voice whispered in his head faintly. "Thank you..."

Abruptly, Sebastian was in his father's workshop back in Triberg and the burning pain in his side had vanished. Lifting his shirt, he saw that his skin was unblemished and there was not a trace of redness. Looking down, Seb saw that the formerly broken clock was now whole once more, but somehow something felt different. Picking it up and examining it closely, Sebastian furrowed his brow in confusion, for emblazoned on the clock face was an emerald-green dragon lying coiled round the golden bars of Xinohth's cage. His jaw hit the floor. Ardamore winked.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And that is the end of "Inner Workings"! I hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it.
-Word_Bird