Chapter 5: Kent Nelson

Star and Marco learned something about Kent Nelson. The longer he's away from the helmet, it seems like the more of who the person beneath the helmet is begins shining through.

"So...you two live here together? That's interesting, I live in a tower," Kent replied as he gently swayed his legs back and forth. His accent sounded like a vaguely Irish accent.

"A tower? Like in Mewni?" Star asked in curiosity.

"Yes and no. It's a tower in the void between dimensions. Though it goes to other dimensions when Nabu wants it to. So sometimes it's in Mewni," Kent explained.

"So do you live in there by choice? Or is it because you have to?" Marco asked. Kent simply stayed silent, clasping his hands together and fidgeting his thumbs around.

"Kent...do you live in there by choice? Or does Nabu force you to live in there?" Star repeated, getting worried.

"Yes," Kent replied simply. That confused the Mewni princess, and dumbfounded her human confidant.

"You live there by choice and he forced you? How does that work...?" Star asked.

"He might not have had a choice and just took the chance at a home," Marco whispered to Star.

"I don't remember if I chose to live there. I just assume I did," Kent corrected.

"That's terrifying," Star immediately followed up.

"You get used to the gaps in memory and blurring of decisions," Kent replied.

"No one should have to get used to-what are you doing?" Marco asked in confusion as Kent suddenly started rubbing his temple with his fingers and closing his eyes.

"Trying to figure out where the helmet is," Kent said as if by magnetism, he goes to the exact drawer that Star had placed it and dug it out.

"...whoa that's creepy," Star remarked, pointing towards Kent and his uncanny ability to detect the golden lid.

"Does anyone have like...a rope or something? A...metal loop thing maybe?" Kent asked suddenly. Marco and Star looked at each other in confusion.

"You mean a karabiner? Yeah I think I have one in my room," Marco shrugged.

"Could I have it?" Kent asked again. Marco went off to go get some things that Kent was asking for, leaving the avatar with Star.

"So...how much do you know about the situation I'm in?" Star asked Kent.

"Your mother told me the situation. How this Glossaryck was taken and you now needed someone to help guide your studies?" Kent explained. Star looked down shyly, fidgeting in her boots.

"Don't worry though. Your mother has a lot of faith in you too," Kent tried to encourage, which seemed to cheer up the princess.

"Thanks Kent," Star replied as Marco came back with a green cotton belt.

"Here you go. I couldn't find a karabiner, but this should help instead," Marco apologized. Kent took the belt and tied the green belt into an extended belt loop through his robe's own blue belt. Looping the belt in through the helmet and out through one of its eye holes. The helmet hanging off of his waist now, ready at a moment's notice. Recognizing something, Marco and Star each brought up a question.

"So...where is he going to sleep in the meantime? We don't have any guest rooms," Marco asked. Which was immediately followed up by Star's question.

"Hey Kent. If you can figure out where the helmet is, does that mean you can do magic yourself?" Star asked with a tinge of enthusiam to her curiosity. Kent pondered this himself for about a minute before giving his response.

"I mean...with how long I've been around this helmet. I might be able to?" Kent said as he walked out into the house's hallway and went to a random wall. Kent slowly pushed his hands together and started rubbing them against each other, closing his eyes and trying to concentrate. His hands beginning to have a dim glow under his skin, with a blue aura enveloping the rest of his hands. His eyes opened, flickering between a dim gold and his usual blue. As if trying to channel the power of the helmet from a distance was an ordeal. He placed two of his fingers onto the bottom of the wall.

"Order's Domain I beck and call. Ancient Doorway standing tall," Kent muttered as he began dragging his fingers up and along the wall. A glowing blue line following where his fingers were.

"With this gateway traced in power, bridge the gap to...Nabu's...Tower," Kent said in rapidly growing exhaustion as he practically fainted against the wall. The line fading in glow as the energy left his body. Falling back and collapsing onto the floor again. Marco and Star rushing out after hearing the sudden thud. Star held her wand out, the energy forming in the half star crystal.

"Summoning Cloudy Charm!" She called out as the beam fired underneath Kent, a pink fluffy cloud with eyes popping up to support the unconscious teen.

"Hi Star! Who's on my head?" Cloudy asked with a happy tune.

"A new friend who tuckered himself out. Could you just rest him in my secrets closet please?" Star requested with a smile.

"Uh huh!" Cloudy said as he hummed a happy song as floated past them both, using his mouth to grab onto the doorknob and open the door to Star's closet of secrets, resting the sleeping Kent on the floor and exiting the closet.

"I did it, Star!" Cloudy cheered.

"Good job Cloudy!" Star congratulated as she dispelled Cloudy in the spot. Marco closed the door to that closet and went over to Star.

"So what are we going to do about Kent?" Marco asked. Star simply shrugged.