Duel, pt. 1

A MENACING MARK WINTER STOOD IN FRONT OF ME. “WELL, isn't this nice?” he hissed. I wasn’t used to animosity from him. I had grown accustomed to him siding with me.

“What are you doing here?” I whispered and hit his arm. I was still in shock from having watched him materialize. And I was hostile because I was busted.

“Trying to make sure young vieczy haven’t ripped you apart. Now that I know you’re fine, I might ask you the same question. What exactly were you trying to pull, running off like that?” he asked. He leaned in toward me as he said this, so close his signature motorcycle jacket hung off him and brushed against my skin. It was threatening.

“I needed a little human contact. Is that such a bad thing?” I asked.

“When there are twenty-eight out of control vieczy out there who are looking for you? I should say so,” Mark said, pacing.

“What did you expect me to do after how I left things with Everett? Sit and wait for an apology? I had to get away,” I argued. It was one of my more unflattering character traits that I got defensive and argumentative in moments like this.

“So you ran off to the only human man on the planet in love with you? Because you thought that would help?” he sneered.

“I never said he was in love with me.”

“Please,” he scoffed. “You didn’t have to.”

My patience wore thin. “Get out of here. I’ll come back tomorrow,and in the meantime, I’ll be plenty safe,” I insisted.

Just then, Cole knocked on the door. “Everything okay?”

“Fine,” I lied, narrowing my eyes at Mark. “Leave.”

“No can do,” Mark said.

“I don’t want trouble,” I said.

“You’ve been off the grid for nearly twenty-four hours. Trouble is about to arrive at the front door,” Mark said.

“They’re coming?” I said in dismay.

“Your phone has been off! You could have been dead!”

“Never so lucky,” I muttered.

There was a knock at Cole’s door.

“That’ll be Everett,” he sighed.

“Damn it!” Mark disappeared, I’m sure only to reappear outside

Cole’s door with Everett and, I’d guess, Ginny.

I hurried out of the bedroom. “Cole,” I said, clear warning in my voice that he didn’t read.

“Hold on, Sadie, someone’s at my door. Must be a neighbor since the doorman didn’t send anybody up.”

I held my breath as Cole opened the door.

Everett’s immortal face had never looked angrier. Ginny and Mark flanked him.

“Can I help you?” Cole asked with great surprise. But as Everett emitted a sound that sounded like a faint growl, bold waves of defense rolled off of Cole; he was only concerned with protecting me from the menacing strangers. “Who are you?” he cried.

“Why don’t you let Sadie introduce me,” Everett said, striding boldly into Cole’s home.

Cole looked at me, concern and confusion in his eyes. “Sadie?” he asked. “Cole, this is Everett Winter,” I said helplessly.

“Who?” Cole asked, leaning back to put space between his body and

Everett’s since Everett wouldn’t let up.