Chapter 6 - The Bus Ride Home

During the bus ride home, I told Patrick what happened in social studies, and he told me that it shouldn't matter.
"Well, at least someone notices me," I replied.
"You two have just met," he refuted.
Maybe he's right. I should take this slow. After all, falling in love in one day is lustful. Plus, I don't know her completely.
I notice from a couple of seats down the aisle that Caleb was staring at me. What does he have against me? I genuinely don't know who I want to vote for in the election .
Mia then looks behind me and hands me a note which was folded. Opening up, I noticed writing, and it is definitely Caleb's, knowing how he writes.

"I still remember you and Lauren. You two would've made a great couple! Not only do I remember that, but if you fucking ignore my questions again, I'll tell the whole school about all the shit I did to you in middle school!"

Is this supposed to be a threat or blackmail? Then, I decided to write back.

"Fuck you.
Love, Robert."

The bus is finally at our stop. I got out, and decided to stay by Patrick's side. I sense that maybe Caleb will try to sucker punch me, and I'm not taking any chances.
The suburb always looked spooky at night. For one, there are barely any lamp posts, so sometimes you can be in darkness, and anything could happen. However, the sun's out, so Patrick and I are good.
"You infatuated son of a bitch," Patrick called to me.
"She wanted to know my name! Maybe she wants to know me as well!" I exclaimed.
"Not all friendships can be deep. Friendships can go to any direction good or bad," he says. "For example, look at me. I'm your asshole/smartass/best friend who we both known each other since first grade, and at first, I wasn't an asshole."
From that moment, I contemplated about relationships, friendships, and people overall. On the way home, Patrick and I stayed quiet.

Lying on my bed before going to sleep, I thought about Patrick's statement. Friendships can go to any direction good or bad. It always seemed that I've tried hard to befriend others. That I have to be someone else, but Patrick is a guy who I can be myself to. I think that's what friendships are in a way.