Chapter one

By Violet

"...Raksa Hunters are fierce, dark creatures. They are very persistent, and won't stop until they catch their prey," Mrs. Larson explained, "and the worst part is, they seem like normal humans until they get so close you can see their Raksa Hunter tattoo. And when you can see their tattoo, you're dead."

She had the attention of the whole class, even Benny Snartoff's. She swooped across the room, snatching eye contact of each student as she flew by. Laurel's, Jay's, she engaged eye contact with everybody, but when she hit me, she stopped in her tracks. She was speechless. Mrs. Larson headed towards me, noticing the fear in my eyes.

"Why do they chase us?" I asked unhappily.

Mrs. Larson took a breath, as if she was going to say something, but just stared at me.

"Because they are humans," she began, "and humans... humans think Raksas are bad."

I gulped and brushed a strand of my dark red hair out of my face. Humans are something I'm going to avoid for the rest of my life.

The bell rang and Mrs. Larson waved her hand and dismissed the Creatures class. We stood up and walked silently out of the room, still trying to comprehend what our teacher had just said.

As we filed into our next class, Self Defense, the sky had begun to darken. It's definitely going to rain today. Mr. Drake jogged in and we all scrambled to get to our spot.

"Okay, class," he barked. "Today, we're reviewing everything we've learned since the beginning of the year. Get into stance!"

We jumped into position and began a series of quick punches and kicks to the air.

After ten minutes, Mr. Drake dropped his stance and everyone except me collapsed onto the ground, covered in sweat. I heard my classmates mutter things like "It's finally over" and "Mr. Drake goes so hard on us".

I leaned against a wall, trying to act like them.

Continued - By Janae

"Alright, that was...exceptional. Now hit the showers!" Mr. Drake stated, ushering us towards the changing rooms. I undressed and turned on the shower. The water exploded over my head as I squirted shampoo into my hair.

We're pretty much like humans, I guess, I thought. I guess they aren't so bad, if they think like we do.

After finishing taking a shower, I pushed out of class and hurried to get my backpack. Thankfully, school was finally over.

As I scrambled upstairs, I felt a gush of air swoosh past my ear. Before I could turn around, I was pushed backwards.