A is for Allergies

The morning sun poured through the tall windows as it rose for a new day. Detective Daniel Reagan lay in bed, opening his eyes to the brightness of the sun. A smile spread across his face as he stretched out his still sleeping muscles. The night before had been a happy one and something that he hadn't experienced in months. Not since the death of his beloved wife. Not a day went by where he didn't think about her, what she would say and what they would do if she were still here. Definitely things would be different if she were still here, and he himself had changed since her sad and sudden passing. He thought for sure that he would be alone; that he would never be able to love someone as much as he did his wife, or even move on from it to a new relationship. But things had most definitely changed. He still loved her that was something that would never change. He still missed her and thought about her, but he was definitely not alone; at least not anymore. He pulled his phone off the bedside table, and checked any messages he had received. His kids had been sleeping over at their friends' homes and now according to his messages, they were safe and on their way to school. He smiled at the screen before him and he turned to his side and watched as his nighttime guest walked back into the bedroom.

"You were out of bed early," he teased as she climbed back into bed with him. She approached with a smile on her face and two takeout cups of coffee in her hand.

"What can I say I'm an early riser," she said smoothly before moving one of the cups in his directions, "Your coffee Detective Reagan. Just the way you like it." He took the cup with a thankful smile and moved in giving her a sweet kiss on the lips.

"Why thank you Miss Rivers," he whispered to her with a smile on his face. She smiled back and returned the sweet kiss that he gave her. They sat together sweetly until Danny's phone buzzed on the bedside table next to him. He sighed at the disruption and turned away from her to pick up the cell vibrating on the small table. He looked down at the lit screen to see a text message from work, and from the look she received from him, she already knew what it was.

"Duty calls huh Superman?" she teased looking into his eyes.

"I've got a case," he said sadly. He wished he could stay with her a little while longer; after all she was the source of all his newfound happiness. But he couldn't very well just say no.

"It's okay Danny," Miss Rivers told him, "People need you. Call me when you can okay?"

"Okay," Danny for fitted, "So what does your day look like?"

"Hospital today, office tomorrow," she informed, "Guess neither one of us could stay in bed even if we wanted to."

"Guess so," he moved in close, "Wish me luck?"

"Darling I may not have known you forever but I know you don't need it," she said slyly, before planting a kiss on his lips once more. Right after, he got out of bed and threw on a suit, ready to head off to work. He grabbed some toast for a quick breakfast and the two secret lovers shared a final kiss before parting ways. While Miss Rivers got in her car and drove off to the hospital, Danny got in his car and drove to the scene of the crime that was sent to his phone. The drive was a seemingly short one and a fairly peaceful one. He was in a particularly good mood that day and had been for a while. It didn't seem like anything would bring him down, no matter how bad. And that was the first time he had ever felt this happy since he lost the only person he ever thought would ever make him that happy. Soon he arrived to the scene of the crime; outside an apartment complex, which was already surrounded by countless squad cars and officers. He parked near the scene and walked right over ducking under the yellow tape.

"Hey," he greeted his partner, Detective Maria Baez, as he walked right up to her.

"Morning Reagan," she greeted as she led him over to the scene.