⁂ caught in your undertow ⁂

A TASTE OF NIGHTMARES

 ¢нαρтєя σиє 

׺°"˜'"°º× cαυgнт ιη үσυя υη∂εятσω ׺°"˜'"°º×

Alderpaw gazed back and forth between his father and the fuming leader of ShadowClan. Rowanstar glowered furiously at Bramblestar, who refused to back down. On what, you may ask? Keeping the prophesied kits that his son had found in a dark, dank tunnel. They were nothing special yet, but they were supposedly destined to save the Clans from a looming darkness, whatever that may be. His radiant amber eyes swept nervously over Twigkit and Violetkit, both crouched quivering under the intimidating glares of ShadowClan and the protective growls of ThunderClan padding forward to support their leader's decision and protect the pair of small, innocent kittens. Alderpaw's heart twisted as the two sisters pressed closer together, their eyes darting around the clearing wildly in alarm and confusion.

Alderpaw turned his head and suddenly met Needlepaw's infuriated optics. She gave him an incredibly dirty look, a large grimace covering her maw. The silver she-cat curled her lip and continued her threatening stare. Alderpaw wrenched his awkward gaze away from hers, sympathizing with the pair of frightened littermates. He trotted over to them and gently pulled them close to him with his fluffy tail, hoping to reassure them. That only earned more snarls of dismay and angry looks from warriors and apprentices in ShadowClan. Alderpaw knew the apprentices had never been the most obedient, respectful, and loyal to their Clan, but now they were visibly united as one, for once. Alderpaw tightened his defensive grip on Violetkit and Twigkit.

"You heard me. The kits aren't going home with you. Not one, nor both. They belong to ThunderClan. It's cruel and wrong to rip kits from the Clan they've already grown accustomed to, and the great friends they've made there." Not to mention, it's straight-up ruthless to tear apart orphaned sisters, he huffed silently to himself, though kept his jaw shut, an eye still watching over the trembling kittens resting worriedly against his lean frame. "And it's unfair to keep them both in one Clan, when it took two to help find them," Rowanstar met Bramblestar's defiant amber gaze with an ambitious fire lit in his own. Crowfrost stood tall beside him, his black-and-white pelt faintly blown the wrong way by the cool breeze drafting into the stony clearing.

"They are ThunderClan's." Bramblestar's tone was firm and stern, as if he was scolding a stubborn apprentice who was attempting to fight a pointless argument. In all essence, the only thing separating Rowanstar from a young stubborn apprentice was his size and age. He was stubborn, reckless, and fought tedious battles for his own amusement. But he seemed as if he wasn't going to give up on this heated debate that fast. Alderpaw glanced between the two tabby toms, anxiety making his claws sheathe and unsheathe, flexing onto the cold gray surface of the ground underpaw.

"We both know that's a lie. So, if you're going to be dishonest and unfair, then...the only logical thing to do to achieve those kits is fight to see who would grant them a safer and better home," Rowanstar gave a grin, and Alderpaw shivered at how insane he looked, the moonlight dappling his dark auburn fur. His eyes flew over to his father's reaction. He looked dumbfounded, as did most of ThunderClan. Sparkpaw had her ginger ears flattened against her head, while Squirrelflight and Cloudtail exchanged shocked glances. A few other ThunderClan warriors clustered together before turning their attention fully back to the dispute between the two leaders.

"Very well." Bramblestar's cool, calm answer was even more of a shock to Alderpaw. He stared desperately at his father, hoping to catch his eye. But he wouldn't meet the medicine cat apprentice's gaze. He had locked eyes with Rowanstar, whose eyes were piqued with interest and ambition. "It shall take place in five days. But mark my words. Those kits will be ours sooner or later." After giving the confident and threatening announcement, Rowanstar spun around and headed off, leading his cats who glared and bared their teeth intimidatingly at the ThunderClan warriors and apprentices, who did the same, their hackles raised and their claws extending in hostility.

Leafpool and Jayfeather had their heads bent close together, murmuring softly to one another before separating and both making their way over to Alderpaw. Leafpool scooped up Violetkit gently in her jaws, while Alderpaw picked up Twigkit by her furry scruff. She swung her hind legs around precariously in the air for a moment before relaxing in her friend's grip.  Alderpaw felt his own tense, broad shoulders begin to unwind as well, and his heart was warmed slightly by the she-kit's immense trust in him. He just hoped the battle looming ahead wouldn't tear a huge hole in it. Or worse yet, destroy it.