Chapter 1

The light refractured as it hit the many crystalline panes that made up the great glass dome above them.
The spirals of honey light made Emma's hair gleam with the same ferocity as her passion.
The shades ranging from of fine pale blonde to deep rich cornsilk fluctuated in such variations of colour. The slight rustling of her hair that swayed syncing with her movements.

Her forget-me-not blue dress with it's small multitude of ruffles flaring at the bottom, rustled as she walked, with her predatory air of warrior grace. Her frame was slight yet toned with muscles. Skin lightly kissed by the sun so common to them in California.
Her eyes watched and followed him from across the veined black marble floor. That glare as familiar to him as his own reflection.

The fire ignited along the floor sending warm waves tingling down his spine. The meter high wall that was the colours of fall did not burn him as he slipped through. A slight rustle of wind waved past him, lazily carrying the woodsmoke scent and a faint underlying smell of vanilla. Emmas perfume it must have been.
Once they were both within the circle, the flames grew higher sending waves of warmth upon them both. The woodsmoke scent was now almost overpowering and cloying. But soon that pressure of it faded ,as it brought nostalic memories of past autumns. Of rich hot chocolate still steaming. The dry scent that fallen leaves always seems to contain. October nights spent by a bay window watching the shooting stars. The scent of woodsmoke brought back all those feelings of fall.

Snapping out of his daze to the popping and crackling sound of the fire encircling them . Emmas voice rose above those sounds to remind him of what he must do. His voice joined hers in the symphony. They said in sync the words of the parabatai ceremony. The sweet joyous flow of sounds that would eternally bind them together as those of philia, the love of friendship.

As they finished speaking, he lifted the stele to her collarbone. The midnight black ink a stark contrast to the pale gold of Emma's skin. The tracement completed his blackthorn eyes meeting hers, she grinned at him, the smile lightening her face with mischievous intentions. Julian grinned back they were parabatai now and nothing but death would take Emma away from him. His smile brightened further, giving him the angelic look that always bestowed the second serving of pudding to him.

The love of friendship, philia filled him from within threatening to overflow. Julian was overwhelmed with happiness.
Emma was his parabatai and him hers.