Chapter 3

"Watch your step, Amara. Here, take my hand." Konrad held his hand out for me to grasp, catching me as I slipped on the wooden ramp in my bare feet. The ocean spray had dampened the wood, making it difficult to walk down.

"Merci," I thanked, taking his hand.

As I stepped onto the damp, pale sand, my eyes scanned my surroundings, admiring how beautiful the beach looked. The torches illuminated the shore in a soft amber glow. I wished I could have lingered for a while longer if only to bask in the sudden rush of heat that emanated from them.

That wasn't to be as I felt a nudge in the small of my back, urging me to move. "Keep going," a Lycan soldier barked, harshly.

I glanced back towards the ship to fully appreciate it in all its magnificent glory. The dark sails flapped in the wind and the mast creaked as the thundering sound of feet walked across the top deck. I halted in place, witnessing the Lycan warriors carrying the other eleven women off the ship. Curious as to where they were being taken, I turned to Konrad to inquire.

"Are they being taken to the castle?" My eyes widened with curiosity. I had no idea whether or not they would be taken there or placed straight inside the labyrinth.

He spoke in a hushed whisper, leaning close to my ear. "Yes, you will all be prepared before you enter the labyrinth. Please do not think of me as rude, Amara, but we mustn't be overheard communicating."

"Why not?" I asked, suddenly feeling uneasy. There was no way of fully knowing what to expect once I reached the castle. I was hoping to ambush Konrad with questions.

"It's against the rules. I've already broken two of them. I shouldn't have engaged in a conversation with you, nor should I have allowed you to roam the ship, freely. I will, no doubt, have to answer to my grandfather once we reach the castle," he explained, letting out a soft breath as he smiled to himself.

"I'm sorry. I don't want you to get into any trouble on my account," I replied, sympathetically.

I had no idea how severe his punishment may be. Konrad had grown on me in the short time that I had known him. The last thing I wanted, was to see him come to any harm through any fault of mine.

"Do not concern yourself with my well being, Amara. I will live to see another day," Konrad responded, with certainty.

"So will I... I hope," I forced a smile, although it was quite clear that my confidence wavered slightly.

"You will. You are Amarante, the flower that never fades. You're stronger than you realize. You just have to believe in yourself," he told me, stopping as soon as the path towards the castle split into two separate pathways. "This is where I must bid you farewell. Be safe, Amara. I shall see you at sunrise," he murmured carefully, as not to be overheard.

Initially, I felt a sudden rush of panic at being left to walk amongst the other Lycan warriors. I swallowed tearfully as our eyes met for the final time.

"You shall, Konrad, I give you my word. I ask only one favour from you," I asked, knowing that it was a fools hope, but one that would bring me comfort, none the less.

"And what might that be?" He asked, backing away slowly.

"Have the ship ready for me to set sail back to the mainland," I asked, my eyes searching his beseechingly.