[13]

Song of the chapter: How To Love by Lil Wayne.

...

Toki had never liked anything associated with hospitals. Doctors, blood, needles; he didn't like any of that.

But he didn't notice the antiseptic smell that hospitals usually had when he frantically rushed in with Ava trailing worriedly behind him. He didn't mind the doctors and nurses as he made his way to the reception, his mind racing with a hundren possibilities of what could happen to his father.

For someone who was thinking of eloping with his fiancee, he seemed to forget about his father's blackmail for that moment and the only thing that mattered is that he would be alive.

"The doctor would be right with you Mr. Osoba. I saw your mother around here somewhere, maybe she went to the restroom. You can wait for her." The nurse said, flashing him a sympathetic smile.

He nodded and sat down, Ava sitting down beside him. She was calm, obviously handling the situation calmer than he was.

"It's okay Toki. I'm sure your dad would be fine." She said, trying to reassure him.

"You don't know that, he's old, and he lost blood. He can't just die, we aren't even on good terms." He replied, burying his face in his palms.

"Yes well, your father seems like a fighter. I don't think he would let go that easily." She stated calmly.

"What do you know anyway?" He snapped, his frustration taking a toll on him. "You don't even know him! You probably hate him with the way he treated you."

She opened her mouth to speak but he cut her off.

"You're probably hoping he dies, that way there'll be no one in your way." He spat out, regretting his words the moment they were said.

She felt tears well up and his expression softened, realising how much harm he had caused.

"Ava-" His voice started out as a croak, but she shook her head and gestured to the doctor that was walking towards them with a small smile.

Toki stood up immediately, momentarily forgetting the situation with Ava, and looked at the doctor curiously.

"Mr. Osoba, Miss." He acknowledged them and they nodded, waiting for him to talk.

"I'll be in the restroom." Ava said quietly, excusing herself and walked away before Toki could protest.

His mouth was suddenly dry, as he regretted the words he said to her. He pushed those thoughts to the back of his head and looked back at the doctor, asking him about his father.

...

Ava splashed some water on her face, hoping that it wasn't obvious that she came to cry.

She had spent too much time in the restroom, and she had to eventually hold in her emotions and come out.

Toki's father's life was more important.

She knew Toki was under pressure, terrified and frustrated at the thought of loosing his father, but accusing her to about not caring that his father was dying?

He was almost calling her a murderer.

And it made her wonder if he trusted her at all.

But in Toki's spiteful words, she felt like there was some truth there. She didn't feel any affection towards the old man, probably because he never had a kind thing to say when she was around him. She didn't feel pressured when they were in the waiting room, partly because she was used to pressure (brides-to-be were a handful), and becuase she didn't know how it felt to feel like you're about to lose someone you love. She was just trying to calm him down. If they were both a blubbering mess, they wouldn't have even gotten to the hospital.