two (edited)

___

Dylan didn't get to see Astrid for another week. During that week, however, he couldn't stop thinking about her. Every time the bell chimed, he would look up in hopes to see the familiar band shirt or even her tattered shoes. His attempts proved to be futile, as she never made an appearance. It was like she had vanished. She hadn't even texted or called him. Was it because he had scared her away? Did she not like him?

Did she already have a boyfriend?

These thoughts raced through his head every passing minute during his shifts at the library. Every second was spent anxiously glancing at his phone, hoping - wishing - that it would ring or vibrate or do anything to indicate that she was coming back. Eventually, he gave up hope. He knew that the chances of seeing Astrid again were little to none at all.

The next Sunday, exactly a week after he had met Astrid, the bell chimed again. Dylan was working the afternoon shift, and because during this time most people were more content in reading inside, he wasn't too bothered and was instead reading the last few pages of The Hobbit. He flipped to the last page, but instead of hearing the footsteps slowly disappearing after the door closed, they came closer and then abruptly stopped. He could see a body standing behind the book. He kept reading.

"I'd like to return a book, please" they said.

Dylan's eyes flittered down to the last paragraph, giving little attention to the customer. He waved absently to his left. "There's a red tub over there somewhere. Just put it in" he said nonchalantly.

Silence came, but he could still feel the person's presence, their shadow looming over where he was sitting behind the counter. Suddenly, they spoke again, and it all sounded far too familiar.

"What's a pretty boy like you doing here all alone?"

He looked up from the book, the last paragraph disregarded. His eyes widened in awe.

"Hermione" he whispered.

And it wasn't a lie. She really did look like Hermione. Her brown hair was much lighter than he remembered, and the auburn-dipped ends shone in the library lights. It was curlier than before. She was smiling, her hazel eyes crinkled in amusement. She was wearing the same band shirt and jeans she had worn last week.

She laughed. Dylan cringed at the realization of what he must've sounded like. His cheeks flushed pink, awkwardly scratching the back of his head.

Great. He thought. Now I've made myself look stupid in front of her twice already.

"Sorry" he said looking down nervously. "I...I don't know-"

"It's alright" she interrupted, still giggling. "I was about to call you Hobbit Man"

He chuckled. "Well, I guess we're even then"

Then, silence. Though it wasn't an awkward one. They were both comfortable, simply just taking in the fact that they could see each other again. He marveled at the sight of her pretty face, so happy that she wasn't just in his memories anymore. She had come back. 

It was like time had stopped just for them.

After a few seconds, her eyes slowly flickered away from their intense gazing, and she awkwardly held up a book in which she was clasping beforehand. Dylan smiled at the sight - it was The Hobbit.

"I finished it last night. It was very interesting" she said, handing it to him.

He took it and nodded. "Yeah. I was just about to finish it now"

"Well I guess I won't spoil it for you then" she lightly laughed, slowly backing away. Dylan saw that she was still wearing the same tattered boots. She pointed towards the aisles. "I just wanted to borrow a few more books"

"Go ahead" Dylan said. And then he couldn't stop himself. "You can also borrow me if you'd like" he blurted.

Fuck.

His cheeks grew hot and he slid onto his elbows, hiding his face in his hands. Astrid's laugh echoed across the quiet library, a pretty sound that Dylan adored, though he was too embarrassed right then to look back up. He groaned, thinking how idiotic and creepy that sounded. This had never happened before. He had met girls, and usually kept his horrible pick-up lines to himself. What it was about Astrid he didn't know, though he knew that he had to resist the urge of saying them out aloud. He didn't want to seem like a creep.

Astrid slowly disappeared into the aisles, leaving Dylan by himself. He mulled over the thought of her. So many questions he wanted to ask, so much he wanted to talk about. He knew that walking over there would seem like he was clingy, and he didn't want her to think that.

Jesus. He thought. Since when was I so conscious about what girls thought of me?

That was a question he didn't want to answer, because he knew that Astrid had something to do with it.

Astrid came back after a few minutes, holding a stack of three books. She placed them on the counter. Dylan smiled and began to scan them.

"Let me guess, your sister wanted a few more bedtime stories?" Dylan asked, amused.

She laughed. "No, actually. Harry Potter is fine for her. These are just for some other kids at the hospital"

Dylan raised an eyebrow. "Hospital?"

She nodded slowly, tucking some hair behind her ear. "Yeah. I do some..uh..volunteer work. They got a little jealous when I told them about it"

He knew that the conversation was over. She was looking down nervously, obviously uncomfortable. He didn't want her to feel this way around him.

He placed the books into her white shoulder bag and then cleared his throat. "Well, I'd like to ask you something before you leave, if you can stay a little longer"

"And what might that be?"

He crossed his arms in a serious manner, no longer smiling, though his eyes sparkled. A surge of confidence rushed through him.

"I've done some research" he began. "And have discovered that it is scientifically proven that when you give your phone number to a female, they usually text or call back after a period of two to four days. You, however, have not texted me back nor called me for a total of seven days, and I think that is scientifically incorrect"

She started to giggle. "Well, with all due respect, sir, I-"

"Hush" he said, holding a finger up to silence her. He used the other hand to push his glasses further up. "I'm not finished" He couldn't hide his smile at this point.

Softer, and less informative, he continued. "It is also scientifically proven that if the female does not reply during that time period, and that you just so happen to see her again, you should ask for her phone number. So, long story short, may I please have your number?"

She laughed. Dylan smiled too, proud of his efforts. This was one of the few good pick-up lines he had, and he had used it on the right person. Astrid pulled her sleeves over her palms. 

"Well, good sir," she began, smiling widely. "I admire your research skills and your courage in sharing your information, but next time you try picking-up a girl, consider the following: One, maybe that female has a faulty phone, two, that that female might be extremely busy in her everyday life, and three, that that girl might not be interested"

Dylan's face dropped. He felt his heart fall to the bottom of his stomach. He bit his lip harder, a nervous habit of his. This couldn't be happening.

"So" Astrid continued, reaching into her shoulder bag. "Long story short..."

He watched as she pulled something out and slammed it onto the counter. A slip of paper with tiny, scrawny writing on it. "Of course"

She then marched away, out of the library and out of sight. Dylan stood speechless, mouth parted. This girl was killing him. He picked up the piece of paper and read it quickly, eager to see what was written.

I knew you would ask.

And underneath it, in thin, neat digits, was a phone number.