Chapter 001: The Farewell Banquet

𝐈𝐭 𝐢𝐬 𝐜𝐮𝐫𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐥𝐲 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐲𝐞𝐚𝐫 𝟏𝟗𝟎 𝐂𝐄 𝐝𝐮𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐋𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐄𝐚𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐧 𝐇𝐚𝐧 𝐃𝐲𝐧𝐚𝐬𝐭𝐲.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

It was the early spring that year as the geese returned in lines to the North from the warmer South. The lush spring foliage in the courtyard had begun to turn green again and the coloured fishes in the pond looked much more vibrant than usual.

"Qiyuè!" A pretty, feminine voice called for her ten-year-old younger sister as she entered the small plum orchard behind the furthermost building to the back of the Qiao family manor, where the two sisters had their rooms.

Since unmarried girls were not allowed direct exposure to the public, the two sisters occupied the most secluded building in the main house, allowing them some appreciated privacy. 

The girl sighed softly, placing her hands on her waist as she looked up one of the plum trees to see her younger sister reclining on the highest branch, overlooking the rest of the courtyard as her pale green and white robes fluttered with the gentle spring breeze.

"Qiyuè! We're not only in the last stages of our departure but also trying to prepare a banquet and yet you're lazing about here while everyone else is busy?" She scolded, though not harshly. 

Qiao Qiyuè laughed hesitantly at that, rubbing the back of her neck in embarrassment before jumping down off the branch and landing on her feet like a cat. 

"I'm sorry, Elder Sister." The younger girl mumbled in apology. 

Her hair was completely undone and flowing loosely over her shoulders, which if anyone were to see her like that aside from her elder sister, would make them question if she was really the second legitimate daughter of the prestigious scholarly Qiao family. 

Her elder sister, Qiao Qirì on the other hand, truly was the more mature of the two despite being a mere two years older. Her hair was done up intricately in small braids and decorative pins and was dressed in a dark red outfit with clouds embroidered. She was also more soft-spoken and well-mannered than Qiyuè, who would climb up trees to take naps.

"Never mind, now. Let's just get your hair done up and check on the banquet preparations. The maidservants have been working since dawn, you know."

Taking her hand and pulling her into their rooms, Qiao Qirì herself started to pin up her sister's hair despite them having maids to do so. 

The two Qiao sisters were incredibly close and tight-knit, relying on one another for support and comfort since their mother died when they were too young to remember. Their father had never remarried either and had only a single other ceshi, or secondary spouse who bore him a son, Qiao Yu, who had unfortunately passed away a few years prior before even reaching 10. 

Qirì was two years older than Qiyuè and since they were rarely seen without the other, came to be known as a matching set:

The two great beauties under heaven "Dà Qiao," (大) – meaning Elder Qiao and "Xiǎo Qiao," (小) meaning Younger or Little Qiao, were the nicknames bestowed upon them, to which they found so amusing that they took to themselves being called such by most who knew them, excluding their father and their own selves. 

The Qiao family was moving back to their hometown in three days time, after the farewell banquet, leaving the capital of Luoyang which had been their home for most their youth, since their father worked as a high-ranked official.