Chapter 004: The Sun Begins to Rise

𝐈𝐭 𝐢𝐬 𝐜𝐮𝐫𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐥𝐲 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐲𝐞𝐚𝐫 𝟏𝟗𝟏 𝐂𝐄 𝐝𝐮𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐋𝐚𝐭𝐞 𝐄𝐚𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐧 𝐇𝐚𝐧 𝐃𝐲𝐧𝐚𝐬𝐭𝐲.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

ᵀᴵᴹᴱ / ONE YEAR LATER

"Father, allow me to come with you at least!" Protested a young boy around the age of sixteen, who although fit and lean himself dwarfed under the large muscular general, who wore a tiger skin on his body armour.

"Hǔ zǐ." ¹ The single nickname for his son silenced the boy, who looked down from his father's tiger-like eyes, where his epithet: 'the Tiger of Jiangdong,' derived from that fierce gaze of his.

"The campaign against Dong Zhou has begun and the nine warlords have gathered. I shall be off fighting under Yuan Shu's banner so I need you to stay here in Lujiang to take care of our family. Besides, you have your blood brother here to accompany you."

Placing a firm hand on his son's shoulder, the boy hesitated for a moment before nodding.

The reason to which he was so insistent on leaving with his father was that despite his youth, he had already built up a reputation of his own and was well-known in the military, already giving him enough credit to head with them to fight.

However, his father's reasons for leaving him behind were sound enough for him to keep silent. Despite his fierce and powerful appearance, he was a proud and caring father and always did his best to look out for them.

Including his decision to relocate his family to Shu County, Lujiang Commandery while he went off to join the coalition against the tyrant Dong Zhou.

"Lord Sūn Jian," A new voice arrived which was similar in age to his son's, having walked out from the inside. He was dressed in layered robes a dark enough red that seemed black and his hair was tied into a knot as all proper gentlemen wore and carried a jade flute casually.

He clearly possessed none of his father's boisterous character, taking greatly after his mother in her refined and elegant nature.

"Please don't worry about Lady Wu and the others." Zhou Yu assured his blood brother's father. "The Zhou family has extended their protection over them and besides, Sūn Ce's blood is my blood, so I shall treat them as my own family."

Laughing heartily at that, the general placed a hand on both of the boys' shoulders and gave them a firm nod of approval.

"Hǔ zǐ, you have truly found a great sworn brother. Make sure you take care of him well."

"Mother's practically already taken him as her own son, so she'd take my ear if I didn't." Sūn Ce huffed with a laugh as the two sworn brother gave their farewells to the general.

━━━━━━

In the capital of Lujiang Commandery, a lively market was being held that day and the quiet sound of birds chirping in the background was drowned out by the busy hub of the city. Farmers wearing cone hats pulled carts of their produce while shopkeepers and women running errands bargained in intense matches.

"Elder Sister, you're so slow!" The sound of a cheerful, exuberant girl's voice was heard through the loud hum of the crowds, pulling her elder sister along by the hand.

The sound of fast-paced drumming was heard from the other end of the market, which Xiao Qiao was trying to get her sister to watch the even unfolding with her if she wasn't so shy to be in public like this.

It wasn't proper for young noblewomen to be out in public like this, especially in such large crowds of a city market, which the elder girl tried to explain though the carefree Xiao Qiao would hear none of the stuffy rules that would ruin their fun.

Tipping her wide-brimmed hat to cover her face some, Dà Qiao had no choice but to keep up with her little sister at the very least in hopes of keeping her out of trouble. After all, they were a pair.

It seemed as though a martial arts competition was going on in the market centre square, in which two opponents faced on another with a flurry of quick practised movements, a gong sounding when one defeated the other.

"It seems as though the prize is a hundred gold tael." Dà Qiao commented in a quiet voice, her dislike of senseless fighting showing through her demure tone.

It wasn't a bad prize to be won, though most of the participants were fighting more for showing off or simply fun competition.

"What a sham this man is!" An angry voice came from beside them, making them turn to see an annoyed looking girl who placed her hands on her hips in frustration at the pathetic scene...or more specifically the so-called returning champion of the match.

"It's obviously staged!" The girl had her hair done up in twin buns and was surprisingly only around seven or six years old, making her anger at the injustice somewhat cute to behold.

However, completely dismissive of her fury, came a deep laugh from a tall boy standing behind her, who seemed similar enough in features to have been guessed to be her elder brother.

What surprised the Two Qiao's though was the presence of Zhou Yu standing next to them with a neutral face as he watched the match.

"Lord Zhou Yu?" Dà Qiao greeted the familiar face politely while Xiao Qiao said nothing. Despite his attractiveness, he really was too much of an obnoxious boy to tolerate.

"Who are your two companions?" The eldest Qiao daughter asked conversationally. Despite her shyness at new faces, her steadfast following of etiquette ruled over. Besides, this little girl was rather cute enough that she would love to be acquainted with her.

The Zhou family heir held his hands in greeting the Two Qiaos while the other boy, dressed in brown robes and had his hair pulled into a topknot, seemed around the same age as him as he turned red at the sight of the sisters.

It was hardly his fault though, since no falsehoods where spoken when it was said that they were girls of such beauty that their faces could make fish forget how to swim, birds forget how to fly, humble the very blossoms and outshine the moon. They were surely to become even more beautiful as they matured into women.

"Greetings to the two Lady Qiaos'." Zhou Yu returned her greetings. "This is Sūn Ce, my blood brother and his younger sister, Sūn Ren."

Dà Qiao's cherry-coloured lips pulled into a kind smile as she greeted them in turn as Zhou Yu introduced them likewise to the Sūn siblings, furthering Sūn Ce's redness of face.

Qiao Qiyuè felt her eye twitch in annoyance at this person making heart eyes her dearest elder sister.

"Oh, for heavens sakes!" The little Sūn Ren couldn't contain herself anymore as the man up on the platform 'defeated' another one of his opponents, who were obviously taking cues from each other to move.

"Gēgē!² Either you go beat this guy up or I will!"

"Yes, please do show off for us, brother." Zhou Yu raised an eyebrow at the more athletic male, who would be right in his element in a martial arts tournament given his hot-blooded temperament.

As the gong sounded for the final victory, the master of ceremonies called out for any final contesters for the prize before the win went to the other man.

"I'd rather fight in a match against you, Zhou Yu." Sūn Ce huffed in acceptance of the challenge as he raised his hand to participate. "I'm planning on breaking that tie between us, someday."

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

𝐆𝐥𝐨𝐬𝐬𝐚𝐫𝐲:

¹ Hǔ zǐ — lit. tiger cub; tiger son.

² Gē gē — Older brother