Author's Note

This story contains five arcs. If Arc 1 is too slow for your taste, I suggest reading the first chapter (1. Blaise part 1+part 2) then skip to Arc 2. The first arc is mainly to set up character motivations, so if you're not interested in that, you can go back to it later. I don't think you're missing that much. Just make sure to scroll down and briefly read through the basics of "Trust Bonding," a power that the characters use, and you're good to go. 

I'm writing one of these because I see that every other story has one.

So anyways, a brief description of the story: the setting is contemporary America, and that contributes to many major parts of the story, such as the fact that the characters make references from every aspect of pop culture (mostly because I'm a humongous nerd myself and can't stop using those references).

The main cast is a group of teenagers who don't really have anything in common with each other— sort of like Breakfast Club. I'd say that each character is a stereotype of their own: we've got the shy nerd, the bossy cheerleader, the funny black guy, the smart guy with glasses, and the authority figure. But, as the story goes on, they will each defy the stereotypes and prove to be realistic, genuine human beings (at least I hope they will be seen that way).

Through the course of many adventures, they will grow from strangers to the best of friends. Yes, there will be romance blossoming among the group. And yes, some characters are of the LGBT community. This is a book focused heavily on character development, so I try to keep the characters realistic. And being realistic means that there have to be LGBT representations in the huge cast of characters. So here's a warning for those who are unable to accept homosexuality as a natural part of human society: leave before I make two gay dudes kiss.

Plot-wise, the novel is separated into five arcs, each being of their own sub-genre. I wouldn't call them parodies of those beloved genres, but they do have some satirical elements. I'd call this book an anti-cliche cliche story, with certain moments of hilarious satire and certain moments of extremely dramatized tropes.

So, the five arcs of the story are:

1. Superhero Origin Story, it's sort of my take on the superhero genre. Most superheroes have their own reason for becoming a superhero, and the characters of this story all have their own reason for becoming Bonders. This arc mainly focuses on introducing the characters, as well as diving into their psyches to see why they want to utilize the Trust Bonding power. Because of the psychological nature of this arc, it can get a little slow-paced. But I can assure you that the pace picks up in the second arc. 

2. Road Trip, a "parody" of the road trip movies, also featuring the kidnap of a certain character and how the group of friends works together for the rescue mission.

3. Teen Drama. Happens when the group arrives at their new school. There will be the handsome playboy, there will be the cocky beauty queen, and there will be bullying and heartbreaking (not) romance.

4. Heist, when the characters go on heists for no good reason, while fearing for the ever-approaching appearance of a midterm exam.

5. Tournament Arc. Nothing else needs to be said. It's TOURNAMENT ARC.

Here's some basic explanation of the power known to the characters as "Trust Bonding":

Bonder (n.): A person who is able to perform Trust Bonding, typically teens or young adults

Bond (n.): 1. A type of energy that manifests itself as a circular pattern around a being's body, can be used to connect to another being's Bond.

                      2. The connection between two being's Bonds, physically manifests itself as two lines connecting Bond together.

Bond (v.): The act of connecting two Bonds. There are two variations:

1. Object Bonding: a Bonder Bonds with a non-living object, able to control the object at will. Sort of like telekinesis.

2. Human Bonding: a Bonder Bonds with another human, this involves a contract in which one person makes a statement such as "I Bond with you to pay back your debt in two days (or insert other commands)" and the other person consenting to the statement. The violation of the statement will cause the violator's body to become controlled by the non-violator in the contract.

Bonding energy (n.): the energy required to Bond with others, used to form Bond (both def.). Can also be used to strengthen muscles, form a protective shield on the skin, or even cure wounds. 

There are three types of Bonders: 

1. Feelers: Sense all Bonds around them, can tell if an object is already Bonded to someone else, can sense Bonding Energy, can especially sense Bonds from people/things whom they previously bonded with. Bond colored red. 

2. Thinkers: Can Bond at a fast speed, can make many Bonds at once, takes less Bonding energy to Bond. Bond colored yellow. 

3. Planners: control Bonded objects freely, can control many Bonds at once, has more control on Bonds(stable/do not often break). Bond colored blue. 

Mutation can allow either three types of Bonders to become Providers while retaining the attributes of their original type, there are two kinds of Providers:

1. Normal Providers: able to transfer Bonding energy to others at will

2. Storing Providers: Similar to Normal Providers, but also obtain an endless amount of Bonding Energy in their body. Often leads to some kind of mental/physical defect. 

So this will be the basic structure of the first book. If you are still interested after reading this long and boring author's note, go on and enjoy the actual story— or not, it's really your choice.