it's not what it seems (in the land of dreams)

originally posted at https://archiveofourown.org/works/11477076?view_adult=true

     Pete Wentz leads a pretty normal life – he has a husband of five years, a comfortable (albeit boring) 9-5 at an office downtown, and a handful of co-workers to hang out with on Friday nights after work. It's good. Not perfect, no, but it's good. That is, until it falls apart.

The day before his life starts falling apart, Pete's having a drink with some of his friends from work at a local bar.

"Hey, Pete, how's Luke doing? I haven't seen him in a while," Mina asks.

"He's good. He's been busy the last few weeks, what with final exams to plan and all, but yesterday was the end of the school year, thankfully," answers Pete. "If you and Oliver want to catch up, let me know and we can all plan something."

"Will do, Pete," Mina says brightly before turning to talk to Derek. 

Pete takes a sip of his beer and smiles. Life's good for him right now. He's about to ask Mina if she knows any people who repair washing machines because his and Luke's broke the other day and Pete really needs some clean clothes when Derek stands up and taps his glass loudly, commanding the group's attention.

"Ahem," he says. "I have an announcement, everyone."

His wife, Linda, stands up, eyes twinkling. "We have an announcement, actually: we're going to be adopting a child soon!"

Their small group dissolves into applause and shouts of "Congratulations!" Pete pushes a $10 bill towards the bartender and nods towards the couple with a grin. Linda sees him and playfully shakes her head before she's trapped in a hug by Mina and Eliza. 

Pete walks around them and claps Derek on the back. "Congrats, man! How long have you two been working on this?"

Derek is beaming more than Pete's ever seen. "Thanks, Pete. And it's been a while, kinda feels like forever. But we get to fly over to China and pick her up in five months!"

"That's really awesome," Pete says genuinely.

"What about you and Luke? I've heard you talk about wanting to adopt one day, but any plans?"

"None right now," he replies, "but I'd love to one day." Pete pauses and checks his watch. "I hate to say it, but I'd better get home. It's getting late."

"Old man," Derek jokes, even though Pete's pretty sure Derek's only a few years younger. "See you Monday."

"See you Monday. Congrats again, man." Pete waves goodbye to everyone else and walks outside, shoving his hands into his jacket pockets. Kids. He hasn't thought about it in a while, not with how busy he's been lately, but he'd love to have one or two, someday.

Pete's still thinking about it when he pulls into the driveway some twenty minutes later. The lights are on in the kitchen and the living room, and he can make out the silhouette of someone watching TV on the couch. It's a small house, only two bedrooms and barely any yard to speak of, but it's home. Pete locks his car and heads inside.

Luke mutes the news when he hears Pete walk into the living room, turning around to greet his husband. "Hey, babe. How was work?"

Pete settles onto the couch next to Luke, throwing one arm over the dark-haired man's shoulders. "It was good. Derek and Linda are going to be adopting soon."

"Really?"

Pete nods. "Yup, all the way from China. Oh, and remind me to call Mina tomorrow and schedule something. She wants to catch up with you."