A place between the worlds...

Iskra touched a spectral finger to her bloodied lips.

'It is the end.'

Her phenomenal hearing had dulled, but there was no mistaking Lilia's shaking form as she hunched over her sister's dead body. Though chains no longer bound her frail wrists, Iskra could now see the girl was never free.

'Youngling, I never... realised...'

Iskra's spectral form floated above her body lying upon the opal tiled floor. The world no longer ran horizontally. Unlike most, Iskra had the power to turn back, though she'd resigned herself to fate. The fae woman's feet aligned as though they touched the earth. A single step thrust her leagues away from her manse, halfway to the very edge of the last hemisphere. She stood upon the night air gazing into the eyes of other worlds.

'But which one?'

One step brought her within reach of the thin, clear membrane. It was nothing for her to shift into the next world. But the drop was severe, as though she'd stepped over a sheer mountain face.

Iskra spun, clawing a hand into the wall behind her, spectral body solidifying as it touched the ash black surface. Then, she turned to see the world was otherwise flat, illuminated by a white sun sat behind a haze of grey. Ahead stood a supremely proud figure, monstrously tall. Hair spun from light with golden skin, carrying a legendary blade. Across from him stood a demon, just as powerfully built. A tail swished behind her naked bronze form.

"Iskra, the Tree Woman..." a slick as oil, but pleasing voice spoke. It was the honey eyed demon.

Iskra raised a brow, "You've interrupted my journey." 

Her insouciance made the demon chuckle. "I am Bes, the Beloved. That thing there is named Jevril."

When Jevril spoke, it was as if a legion spoke with him, "Your god, The Great Father, needs your help in the wars to come."

Bes blinked, "there are many gods. Iskra could be one if she wished."

The dead fae ignored the demon. She turned to Jevril,

"You... Where was your god when my sister was being violated by her disgusting, decrepit, so-called husband?"

 "He does not interfere in such things," Jevril replied, impassive.

"Doesn't interfere?" Her eyes flashed.

"Kalos wielded Lightbringer in battle. The sword that an angel must touch to activate its power. How? Did he baptize himself to wash away all previous sin, so the thing wouldn't burn his skin to ash?"

"It took centuries for my father to descend to madness after his queen fell in battle. In that time his people suffered soul crushing decrees. Our women especially.

"The White God only favours prostrations and sacrifices. He cares not for suffering."

She cursed His name and spat at Jevril's feet. The angel reared; perfect, monstrous hand reaching for the hilt of his blade. Fast as a toad's tongue, a black whip snapped past Iskra's face, catching his wrist.

Bes flashed pearl white fangs, "Neutral ground, brother."

Fate had moved in her favour.