What are you scared of?- Prologue

Author's note: Soo this is my first story and i'm so nervous lol i even messed up how i was trying to upload it. wow lol. 

Thanks for reading :) please comment

i. 

"I bloody hate this," I practically yelled at my besty through the bluetooth clamped to my ear as I walked past Fifth Street aimlessly. I watched my reflection in a wall length shopping window. I looked insane, it was cold out and i was wearing a green tube top and a scarf with my black skinny jeans. White mist moved from my mouth when i let out a long sigh.

"Just calm down Ceil." Ashley urged me. "It's almost curfew you should get home. Forget about the fight with your parents."

She meant my step-parents. That's right my biological father died left me with Annie, the wicked witch of the west who remarried to an asshole. We always had such 'wonderful' conversations now that I was the only "child" in the house (my step sister left for her third year in college).

I was just counting the days until they kicked me out completely screaming how worthless I was to them as they'd throw my stuff out of the condo.

"It's almost curfew, are you listening?"

Right, curfew. "Fuck curfew." I shouted. It was the norm now, so between four to seven in the mornings and eight to midnight all women and people under eighteen had to be indoors. It was an issue of national security. I narrowly fell into that category. I'd turn eighteen in a month.

"Ceil, I don't want anything bad to happen," She managed to say in a serious tone, and Ashley was never serious, it was just a matter of how scared she was of them.

The them are things called Terras. It happened a year ago, there was a spike in the number of homicides and suspected serial killings regionally. The murder toll doubled in size in a space of a few months. And then they caught one of them and all this information about military weapons came into the limelight.

The media was in a frenzy, I don't know what to think about any of it, I've never seen one of the terra but there are body bags lining the city alleys so I can't deny anything. They are apparently bionic humans. So I imagine robotic bodies, like steel for bones, aluminium coating as skin, probably laser vision. Ha, it's so ridiculous what is the world coming too?

But everything continues as normal. School goes on with loads of homework, normal vacation, the usual eight to four jobs, its almost as though Terras don't exist. Except for the frightened people, the overly paranoid that jump whenever you say Terra.

"I mean who do step-asses think they are?" I demanded as I passed Sixth Street.

"They're jerks I'll give them that. What's all this crap blaming you for their poor salaries, like if it's your fault they weren't smart enough to get good jobs."

I relaxed a little; the whole world wasn't against me, just Annie and the asshole. "You see Ashley that's all I'm saying. And! They want me to get a job."

"You mean like work? In a store and stuff? You serious?"

"Yeah." I said. As I walked less and less people seemed to be on the streets. "What time is it?" I asked getting concerned. I may have led on that I didn't care, but that doesn't mean I'm stupid.

"Five to eight Ceil, where the hell are you?" I looked around, I was at seventh street. The condo that I called 'home' was on 1st.

ii.

"Okay well the good thing is you can still get home, all the buildings in town are connected." Ashley said. I had almost forgot that that was one of the changes they had been made to avoid Terras roaming the street.