Chapter 1

~And all though this wave is stringing us along, just know you're not alone, we're gonna make this place our home~

We lined up one one side of the Football field, on the first yard line. The shrill sound of the whistle sounded and I took off to the second yard line. I waited there for a second while the last couple people reached the line, when the whistle blew and we ran back. Then from the first yard line, we ran to the third line, then back to the first

And so it went. 

We lined up on the 1st line, looking miserably at the one all the way across the field, when the shrill whistle blew again, Coach Hansen looking at us expectantly, and I took off, in first place. One of the boys became head to head with me. I breathed in heavily before pushing myself even harder 3 lines away... 2, 1. 

I collapsed on the ground when I reached the other end, smiling like a crazy person, loving and hating the feeling I had after running at the same time. I payed there for a second, before getting up to change out of my track clothes.

But before I could make my way across the field, the coach signaled us to form a huddle.

"Okay athletes," he started, "This heat we cannot afford to come second again to Hughes. Cougars on 3. 1-"

"Wait," I interrupted, "Who's Hughes?"

"Well, Zoe, Hughes is our rival school. They've beat us every year at the national meet. We don't want to loose again." Explained one of the 8th graders.

"Yes thanks Tyler. Cougars on 3. 1, 2... 3!"

"COUGARS!"

I quickly changed out of my track uniform in the locker room, wondering how we would beat Hughes. 

I had just moved here last week, from Virginia, and I had got to this school just in time for track tryouts. All of the 11 other people had already started to feel like family. I put my hair up, running out of the locker room just as the bell rang

We did what they call Suicides again at after school practices, at the town field, when a bunch of middle schools walked in, in track uniforms. I squinted my eyes, trying to read what they said. I gasped as I read the bold words "Hughes Huskies" written boldly across the front. Coach Hansen  took the whistle out of his mouth, but we kept running, Tyler yelling "Go" instead of the whistle. 

I kept looking over to the two coaches having a very heated conversation on the other side of the field, when Coach finally pulled a paper out of his pockets, making the the Hughes coach turn on his heel and storm away, signaling for the team to follow. They all look at us apologetically, some even said "Were very sorry" or "Sorrt for interrupting" to us and the coach, before scrambling after their coach.

After practice I asked him why we hated them so much, they seemed so nice.

"Oh the students are so polite and nice, the coach is the one we hate." Said Ava a Seventh grader, that I had a lot of my classes with.

"Yeah," said the coach, "They have 4 coaches for that team, why so many, I don't know. But, that's the nicest one they have, the other ones are so much worse. Anyways, cougars on three. 1, 2, 3!"

"COUGARS!"

~Settle down it'll all be clear. Don't pay no mind to the demons they fill you with fear~