Chapter 16

Thanks to all of my followers and everyone who voted for this book. It would have NEVER gotten to the place it is now without you all, so thank you!

A quick A/N, I realize it is annoying some people that Grace continues to differ thoughts about Erik (the Phantom). Sometimes she'll be head over heels in love with him, and other times she'll be terrified of the very thought of him. Yes, I realize this.

Did I mean for this to happen? Yes. It shows that Grace has mixed-up feelings, and she doesn't know whether to love or hate him. Sometimes she is conflicted, and when she loves him, she's sort of telling herself to forget the bad things and love him anyways...sort of like forcing herself. But then she'll remember who he is and get scared again.

But, without further ado, here is chapter 16!

I woke up and felt twenty pairs of eyes on me, though the only two people in the room were Anne and Ryan. I blinked a few times to better my vision and then gave a weak smile before yawning. For the first time in a long time, I awoke without feeling fear. It was so peaceful I felt like crying.

Damn horomones.

"Hey," Ryan said, chuckling. I narrowed my eyes at his laughter, but instead found myself giggling as well. "It's eleven o'clock. I've never seen you sleep this long. Besides, the little munchkin is hungry." He gestured towards the little pink bundle in my mother's arms. As soon as I saw her dainty nose sticking up from the blankets, I smiled.

It warmed my heart to see Ryan, so gently, take Christine out of Anne's arms and into his own. He looked so paternal it frustrated me. The way he carefully set my daughter in my arms sent a tingling feeling into the pit of my stomach.

Oh no.

This couldn't be love...could it? No. I refused to think about guys right now. Besides, my horomones were going crazy. It could most definitely just be those acting up again. Christine began to mildly squirm in my arms, and that shook me from my thoughts. Soon enough she was crying. I began to shush her, rock her, even sing to her, but nothing worked.

Ryan scooped her out of my arms and as soon as she was settled with him, her cries stopped. I sat up to see her staring with her beautiful eyes at him as he smiled down at her. She must've really loved him.

"Wow. You're amazing," Anne marveled and snapped a picture. I laughed and held up my hand so she wouldn't capture my face.

Ryan, noticing my embarrassment of how I looked, rolled his eyes. "Oh please, Grace. The day that you don't look stunning will be the day I win the lottery, 'kay?" And then he looked back down at Christine who's eyes had long since shut for she was fast asleep. It was amazing how fast babies fell asleep.

Anne took a close-up of Christine's sweet face. And then she whispered something to Ryan and he looked a bit humiliated, shaking his head. "I have to go." He set my baby into my arms and then rushed out quickly without even a wave. I felt a bit betrayed.

"What did you say?" I asked Anne as she bit her lip and tucked a loose strand of hair behind her ear. Anger rose in my core until I couldn't fathom it. Whatever she did, she probably made Ryan embarrassed that he still chose to see me. Christine, waking to realize she wasn't in the arms of him, began screaming.

"I told him...I told him to take a picture with you. I made this mistake of saying it'd be a great little shot of your perfect family." Anne looked down. "I didn't think it'd upset him. You know, I thought he'd be flattered that I thought you guys seemed like such a nice little-"

"We're not a family!" I shouted and forgot Christine was crying. "He hates me, Anne! He hates me. I bet he wishes I were dead. And you know what? I wish was dead. The only thing keeping me alive is this damn baby...and she hates me too! Look at her! She loves the guy who can't stand to be with me!" Tears were pooling in my eyes and cascading down my cheeks.