Chapter 3. - Father

Devil's Daughter

There are days my pain is so elaborate...
that the salt of my tears tastes not of my own
but like that of my ancestors - 
and the women who dealt
with this sorrow before me.

----------

MALEFICENT SAT DOWN on her 'throne' and we stood in front of her. My dad wasn't here yet, he was probably still in the Underworld. Maleficent was sharpening her nails while explaining her so-called plan to us.

"You will go. You will find Fairy Godmother and you will bring me back her magic wand. Easy peasy."

"What's in it for us?" Mal asked.

"Matching thrones. Hers-and-hers crowns." Maleficent stated as if it was obvious.

"Um, I... I think she meant us," Carlos said with fear evident in his voice, while gesturing to the five of us. Maleficent begged Mal forward, ignoring Carlos, Evie, Jay and I.

"It's all about you and me, baby. Do you enjoy watching innocent people suffer?" Maleficent asked. I almost snorted. Who doesn't? Luckily, Mal beat me to it.

"Well, yeah. I mean, who doesn't-"

"Well, then get me the wand!" Maleficent nearly screamed, interrupting Mal. "And you and I can see all that and so much more." Maleficent straightened and held up two arms. "And with that wand and my sceptre, I will be able to bend both good and evil to my will!"

"Our will." The Evil Queen interrupted, getting nods of agreement from Cruella and Jafar.

"Our will, our will," Maleficent said absentmindedly. She then snapped her fingers in Mal's face, getting her attention. "And if you refuse, you're grounded for the rest of your life, missy." She smirked.

"What... Mom..." Mal tried to object, but Maleficent stared her down, eyes glowing, as did Mal's.

"Why does she even try? She's gonna lose anyway." I muttered to the others. They didn't answer, not wanting to agree, but not being able to disagree either. We all wanted Mal to beat her mother- Maleficent was too insufferable and it would definitely shut her up- but we knew Mal wouldn't be able to do it.

Mal really tried to put up a fight, but was no match for her mother, as expected, and looked away. "Fine. Whatever." She grumbled to her mother.

"I win," Maleficent said triumphantly. I snorted and rolled my eyes, not even trying to hide it. Maleficent glared at me. I stood tall and with my arms crossed. That woman could stare down Mal all she wanted, but not me. If I could handle my father's glares, I could definitely handle hers.

"Now, now. Don't be like that Hadee, my sweet." My father said coming out of the shadows and walking towards me. I merely looked up, while everyone else jumped, startled by his sudden appearance. My father always called me his 'sweet', which would seem nice and endearing to everyone else, but I knew that that's what he mostly called Meg when she was in his control, just like I was under his control.  "I know that look."

"You actually want me to go to that sickly bright and happy place?" I asked. I didn't expect him to like this plan.

"Not particularly, no. But my vindictive side... Did you know I have one?" He asked rhetorically. I almost rolled my eyes, but I knew who I was dealing with, and decided against it. "My vindictive side wants to see those who wronged me burn." He practically growled. He started circling around me, making me feel small. "I want my power back and make them burn down until they're nothing more than ashes. I want the power that is being kept from me because of this barrier. Do you want to feel what it's like to have that power?" I nodded, that's all my father has ever taught me to want. That power that my father always described. I wanted to experience it. To feel powerful and strong. "Then, you'll go, take the wand, break this barrier and you and I can rule. We will build our kingdom from their dead corpses. We'll rise from their burned ashes." He declared. He leaned down next to my ear and hissed. "You know what will happen if you fail." I gulped and nodded before turning to Maleficent.