Chapter 12

It took three grown men, all strong vampires to hold me down. I had made it across the dance floor, almost at the door before they finally managed to pin me down.

"Anger is bringing out the wolf." Sid hissed as he sat on my hips.

I flailed under Curtis and Stuart's grip, holding an arm each they were struggling.

"Veronica, listen to me!"

Sid's eyes were wild with growing fury; golden flecks were swimming in his big brown eyes. His hair was hanging over his forehead, hanging over the edge of his brows as he pinned my shoulders to the dance floor.

"You cannot go out there just yet. Not like this."

His words blurred in and out as the anger riled up my blood. Julius was a dead man walking.

"Calm her down Sid!" Stuart snapped "Otherwise she's going to tear the place apart."

Sid ran his fingers over my jaw, calling me to him in a soft voice. I glared at him, watching his lips move but there were no sounds.

"Sounds like you need the help of a werewolf." said an unknown voice.

His words were silky smooth, caressing around me and calling to my heart. My eyes looked up at the man in a long black trench coat, his hands sitting just out of his pant pockets, his face smiling down at us.

"Be a good girl and behave yourself." he spoke again. "You can let her up now, she will behave."

"About time you got here." Sid snapped.

"You know me, I live by my own time." he held out his hand to me, lifting me off the ground. "Now, are you the little minx that called me?"

I gasped and stepped back, right into Curtis.

"I'll take that as a yes. Veronica?"

"Yes, this is Veronica, can't you see your family in her?"

My jaw dropped as I stared at the man. When he removed his bowler hat and I got to see the shock of deep brown hair, the blue eyes that stared at me, I saw an older version of my father.

"I am Leon Marshall, your uncle and I have come here to ensure that you take over your father's pack."

"You don't care that I'm half vampire?"

"Not at all, I told you on the phone that I have no issues with vampires. You are my flesh and blood and to a werewolf that is very important. I am nothing without my family and you are my family. When I lost my brother I too was lost, my pack was desperate to make things right but what can you do when your alpha loses his only sibling? We knew that he had a child, but you were so well hidden that no one could find you. But you are here now and as a born werewolf Veronica, what you say is law so it doesn't matter what anyone thinks. Your pack will follow you to the ends of the earth and will not question you, if you happen to have a coven that consists of vampires, then they will accept that. In fact, I think you might find you will have both wolves and vampires flock to you for the novelty of being in a mixed group. Now, shall we sit and discuss the Maddox family?"

We all sat back at the table, even with my shoe prints on it. The letter was still sitting there, looking very old and yellowed. Leon pushed it to me, gesturing for me to read it.

Dearest child,

It is a wondrous day, I have felt the presence of your birth, as has your fathers pack. The celebrations that a new child has joined our family has caused much happiness. I hope that wherever you are, you are safe, you know that your pack and your family loves you, that your father can teach you of your heritage, to the family that awaits you and to the pack that has longed for their true leader to return. My dear, they wait for you and your father, they can feel that you are alive and well. They do not care that your mother is a vampire, nor do they care that you are a hybrid and they will accept both you with open arms, you are our family. Your father's lifeblood runs through you and you are his only child, to a werewolf this is what matters. Family is our life, nothing else is important. Your pack awaits you dear child, do not sit idle for too long, they grow impatient to meet you.