Masked Men

The shouts rose as they marched closer and closer. We saw large men with heavy guns and machinery. We all got spilt up. I was left alone, till my Uncle found me. The soldiers came and took my parents away, to fight the ongoing war between England and France. My uncle promised me we would find them again, soon, but, that was months ago. Before we all got plunged in the everlasting darkness.

I tossed and tumbled in my restless sleep...nightmares seeping into my mind... flashes of my parents being taken... the countless starving months I spent alone...the constant travelling and living in fear. I shook and whimpered. "Sam, wake up. Sam! Samantha!" My eyes shot open and I sat up. My uncle was knelt next to me, his scruffy facial hair above his mouth was prickly and unkempt, bags hung under his eyes but he still had a wide smile over his face.

"Morning Uncle Taco," I returned his greeting with a gentle smile. My eyes gradually focused to the world around me. A sigh escaped from my lips as I looked at the destruction human kind had done to the beautiful countryside of France. Car wreckages lay everywhere, wheels and tires rest wasted over the highway we were camped next to. Smoke rose from every corner, caking the sky, causing the world to be clouded and gloomy; the air was polluted and stunk of decaying bodies mixed with the stench of gunpowder. Beautiful flowers were trampled and their petals spread wide across the countryside, like a flower graveyard. It was just a shadow of the former pride and beauty this country once revealed.

Taco broke the silence, as if he could read my thoughts, "This country was once beautiful. Even living in Lemon Dough, after the war started, it all just...went down the drain," his eyes darted to the highway. "Actually, it went to the front lines where the French had to fight the English." He gave a small chuckle that resulted in a harsh coughing fit. I was not amused, I clenched my fist and gritted my teeth.

"My parents are there! Don't joke about such things!" I shouted at him. He was a little taken back by my harsh tone. His shoulders drooped and he looked away from me. Despite being much older, he was still a child at heart. I rose to my feet and rolled up my trashed sleeping bag. I fixed my jumper, which used to belong to my dad, but was now dirty and torn. My Uncle and I packed our bags and set back off onto the road.

"First priority is to find food. We can't keep dragging on like this," Uncle Taco's tone was dull and worn. He kept his eyes on the highway in front of us. He wasn't always like this. I remembered when we were in Les Mondeaux, or as we called it, Lemon Dough. Everything was carefree. Kids ran around the tents, everyone chatted and got along, we had some food, a little money, and my dad ran a bike fixing business. It was perfect. Until the soldiers came. It started with yelling, then fire, screaming, people dying, my parents... Uncle Taco nudged me. He had noticed the tears forming in my eyes and gave me a warm smile; my previous outburst forgiven. We continued to walk, until my Uncle stopped. He froze and hastily gestured for me to stay quiet.

I felt my heart thump and I peered over the bonnet of the destroyed car that we took shelter behind. A small group of English soldiers were in front of a gas station, heavy guns resided in their hands, masks hung over their faces hiding their identity. They crept around the gas station, like a prancing panther searching for their prey, their guns armed and ready for anything.

"I'm going to try to sneak in," Uncle Taco was about to rise to his feet when I snatched him back down and he fell to his knees.

"Are you crazy?!" I hissed. "You'll be chewed up and spat out if you go out there! Please don't," My voice quivered but I tried to stay firm. Uncle Taco simply smiled at me.

"I'll be back." My grip around his arm tightened as my parent's faces flashed into my mind, the same words echoed through my head 'We'll be back.' I shot a sharp look at my Uncle.

"NO!" I shouted. He quickly threw his hands over my mouth, and I heard the heavy boots of the English men thrash closer. Uncle Taco quickly pushed me under the car and shoved our bags down to conceal me. I watched as the men ran around and grabbed Taco. They threw him onto his knees, which scraped and started to bleed. I clamped my eyes shut. All I heard was shouting.

"Who are you?!" One of the men shouted, "where are you from?! Who are you with?!" He gripped Uncle Taco's hair and yanked his head back.

"I'm alone!" He shouted. The soldier put his gun to Uncle Taco's head and cocked it. I shuffled out from under the car and ran right for the man and tackled him. From the sudden shock he rose his gun and fired, hitting his comrade in front of him. The body dropped to the ground. A thud was heard and I watched in horror as the blood seeped out from the bullet wound through his head. Distracted by the horrific sight, I didn't realize there was another man behind me. He spun his gun around... I heard a clank... and the world went black.

"SAMANTHA!"

I regained consciousness and my blurry vision focused. I eyed my surroundings. I saw tents, a few small fires and some strange masked men sitting around the camp. A man came up to me. I tried to move but my hands were bound and I was up against a wooden pole.

"Little trouble maker. You and your partner both," he spat.

"My Uncle! Where is he?" I shouted at the man. He simply laughed. It was deep and rugged. He gestured to his comrade who was standing guard to go fetch something. He returned with Uncle Taco. My eyes widened. Taco had been beaten, his eye was purple and dry blood stained his nose and mouth. He looked up at me, relieved.

"You monsters!" I shouted. I started thrashing and kicking. The man kicked my gut. I let out a long wheeze and a cough.

"Remember darling, the world as it has been known, no longer exists," he snickered. "You will be executed in the morning, as payment for my comrade." With that he strolled off, leaving Taco on the ground.

Nightfall engulfed the world. It was still and silent. The crackling of the fire was the only sounds you could hear, along with the snoring of the man who guarded me.

"Sam," Uncle Taco whispered just loud enough for me to hear. He eyed around looking to see if anyone was watching. "Do you still have that knife in your back pocket?" He asked, eyes wide. My mind clicked and I nodded enthusiastically. I reached into my back pocket and felt a cold metal blade.

"Idiots forgot to check my back pocket," I snickered. I pulled out my small swiss army knife. I flipped the blade up and cut the rope my hands were bound to. Careful as to not wake the guard who was peacefully snoring beside me, I sliced up the rope that kept Uncle Taco tied and helped him up.

We began made our way out of the camp, swiftly and undetected. We were almost there when Uncle Taco stopped.

"What is it?" I whispered cocking my head. His eyes lit up and he pointed to a tent. I stared at the tent, my mouth watering as I saw stockpiles of food.

"Let's get some," he nearly leaped with joy. I didn't even stop to think of the consequences. We wandered into the tent, started to pack the food into a duffle bag. We were about to leave the tent when Uncle Taco stood up. Cans and pots came crashing down everywhere. I snatched my Uncle's shirt and shot out of the tent. Shouts could be heard from behind me. Before long we were dodging gun shots.

"Come on Uncle we're nearly there!" I called, hope in voice. We kept running, till. I heard a sickening crack. A bullet pierced through my sternum. I fell to the ground... the world spinning... shouts and screams were muffled and distorted. I watched the clouds as they circled in the evening sky. I closed my eyes and let out a long sigh. I smiled my breathing slowed, and eventually stopped.

Taco stopped, he stared down as his dead niece. He picked her head up and held her in his arms, blood seeping into his clothes. He began to sob.

"I'm sorry," he whispered into her ear and gently laid her down on the ground. His head shot to where the masked English men ran towards him.

"You monsters!" Taco shouted. He got up and ran full-fledged at the soldiers. He ran and ran, ignoring the bullets whizzing past him. He shouted and sobbed.

"Monsters!" he continued to shout. "Monst-" Taco was cut off. Taco plunged to the ground, his forehead was pierced by a bullet. He lay lifeless, a few feet away from his niece. The night was peaceful once more. The grass stained red, the skies were clear and the stars glistened. For the first time in months, everything was quiet, and the world fell silent.