[ 2/2 ]

Charioce settled in a small table near the coffee shop's window on the street. It was a comfortable place and it suited his tastes as it found itself down the road to the University's political science course. Plus, he liked their tea and about the staff - he glanced at the timid pink-haired girl - they were diligent and efficient to the right point. Once he got comfortable, Charioce took the book he was currently reading from the shoulder bag, Machiavelli's The Prince. A book from the '500s, in which the author presented the characteristics of the ideal prince and the methods on how to keep and conquer a State. Although of different ages, Charioce was surprised to find similarities to today's world. In order to reach the goal of preserving and strengthening the State, Machiavelli was mostly known for the infamous quote "the end justifying the means" according to which any action of the Prince would be justified, although in contravention of the laws of morality. As the author said, the qualities that an ideal prince must possess are: the ability to care about the wellbeing of the people; master the art of war - for the survival of the state; the wisdom of seeking advice only when it is necessary; the ability to understand that strength and violence can be essential to maintain stability and power.

It was better to be feared, rather than loved.

He narrowed his golden eyes and put his finger on the lower lip, folding it into a hook. Charioce devoured pages and pages of Machiavelli's most famous work.

Another concept that was slipped in the young blond man's mind was that "[...] The salvation of the State is necessary and must come before the personal ethical convictions of the Prince, for he is not the master, but the servant of the State."

Every line absorbed him further in the reading, so much that he didn't even realize that his tea had just been delivered. He looked up absent-mindedly for a moment from the book as a "thank you", then he heard the clink-noise of a second ceramic cup left on the table together with the teapot. He looked surprised as he raised his head and, in trying to understand what was going on, his eyes shifted to those of the shy pink-haired barista.

"What is it?"

"A- ...A cup of coffee." She muttered, covering half of her face with the tray.

He crooked an eyebrow. Indeed, he noticed it was a cup of coffee.

"Why? I didn't order any."

"I-I know... it's on the house!" the girls' cheeks became redder than before. "It's an espresso. I-I thought you might try a cup of coffee other than black tea..."

Charioce was stunned. It was one of the rare times he was confused. He couldn't understand the girl's gesture and why she had decided to make a cup of coffee for him. He set his book down on the table and he studied the girl. His reticence had made him wonder what her true intentions really were.

First thing he read the name on her badge, Nina, and then he focused on her. She had a little and round face. Her hazel eyes were big and full of bright, still they couldn't look at him as she was looking elsewhere. Her lips were at the time contracted in a little pout, the cheeks were chubby and, he was sure, they would turn out soft to the touch.

...cute. He was surprised by his spontaneous consideration, but Charioce had to admit she did have beautiful features.

After his silence the young barista, feeling his sharply gaze on her, once again blushed furiously.

Charioce didn't get any sign of malice from the girl. Instead, she had succeeded in catching his attention and he was now willing to know her purposes better.

After sitting through a silence that only seemed endless to her, Nina didn't know what to think. She didn't even know what had driven her to act on impulse and serve the handsome client with a cup of espresso. But when she spotted the small smile appearing on the young man's face and the shortly chuckling in his deep voice, Nina thought her heart would burst outside of her chest.