32| Tom

Six Years Later

She was sitting on one of the benches in the park. She was reading one of those sociology books absentmindedly. Because there was a kid on the monkey bars. She smiled as he called, waving at him. She was older now, wiser too. The girl with the bleach blonde hair was no longer. She was proudly wearing her natural colour now. He was not sure whether or not he was glad about it. She looked beautiful, yet he liked the memory of her better. No, he didn't like what he saw. Because he could've done better, she would've stayed the same fiery girl he'd grown to love. Oh, how he would have loved her, every day of the past six years, better, stronger, harder than He ever did.

He thought he was done with the petty jealousy he felt towards Harrison but the feeling was still there and he couldn't help it. Yet he had played along. He had stayed when Harrison had stolen her from him and when she had walked down to the altar with him. He had played along, smiled even. Because he'd still had a chance. Until the news of her pregnancy. He had left with no apparent reason, calling only on her birthday to wish her another great year in this world. He had never bothered reading the newborn greeting card nor the four birthday cards that came after it. Some of those he lost, others he burnt. He had felt like those were nagging him.

But after a while, being alone became dreadful. For someone so socially involved, he dreaded making conversation with those fake smiles and hopeful eyes. People like her were rare now that he had been voted GQ Man of the Year three years in a row and had starred in some of the biggest summer blockbusters. On the other hand, he'd heard she had finally made it as a surgeon and Harrison was loving his career as a consulting agent in the editing world.

The kid ran over to her, his two little hands in the air. He had green eyes, just like his father's. Now that he had taken a good look at the little boy, everything about him reminded him of Harrison. He had sandy blonde hair and was already quite tall for his age. She picked him up, struggling to keep the book in her grasp. Tom didn't know whether to help or not. He did step out from behind the tree where he'd been standing.

She looked over. She was quite shocked to see him there, so he walked over, all smiles. Everything would be okay, he just had to keep it casual.

"Hi, Riley." He picked the book from her hand.

She put the boy and seized his hand tightly as soon as he stood up. "Thank you. For the book." She snapped at him. "I have to go now, I'm sorry. Tom..."

"Yes?" He replied eagerly.

"Tom, baby, let's go." She said, pulling on the boy's hand.