Chapter Seven

Darkness encased him. All he could do was feel and tear at the bounds on his wrists. Michael hadn't stopped twisting and pulling at the tape since he first started, clinging onto a thread of hope that he would break free. Once he stopped, he would lose all hope of getting out of there. He hadn't given up on the idea of his parents coming to the rescue, it was after all, a very likely possibility. But they weren't being fast enough, something was tripping them up, keeping them from finding the sewer or whatever he and Christine were trapped in.

An unusual snap made him draw in a calculated breath. It wasn't loud, and the freeing feeling he felt was almost unreal. Just to be sure, Michael pulled his hands towards his face, letting his dirt ridden fingers feel at his cheeks and eyes, run through his matted curls. With a growing laugh and unbreakable smile, he began working at his ankles.

                                                                            .~.

Hodgins stared at the computer screen filled with molds, gravel, algae, microorganisms... the list went on and on, but none of these were able to pinpoint a specific area other than the man made lake Booth had checked out only an hour before. This notion seemed to stare him in the face. An hour ago. Another hour had passed with no new information about their children's whereabouts. His eyes glided to the small digital clock in the corner of the screen, making him cringe. They had four hours left. Four hours to find Michael and Christine before they were murdered.

A comforting touch to his shoulder caused him to flinch. He turned to Angela with glassy eyes. What was he supposed to tell her? He had nothing new, nothing to point them in the direction of Michael or Christine. He opened his mouth to speak but was silenced by her finger. She gave him a soft smile, something he deeply needed, and kissed his forehead. Angela already knew that he had nothing to tell her. She knew he was just as lost as everyone else, that the time on the clock was not in their favor, that everything seemed to be stacked against them.

"How're you holding up?" Hodgins managed to ask.

Angela shrugged with a heavy sigh, "Alright. The Angelatron is running through a facial recognition program again. Nothing's come up... Jack-"

It was his turn to stop her from talking, "Does your dad know?"

She raised an eyebrow, "What?"

"Did you tell your father about Michael?" He asked once again, measuring her reaction.

Angela ran a hand through her hair and stifled a frustrated laugh, "Are you kidding? I-I don't want to worry him. Besides... I don't want my dad running behind the FBI's backs with his own personal agenda. The ass holes that have Michael already have to deal with Booth, I don't think it would be necessary to sick my dad on them too."

"And they have me to worry about," Hodgins reminded her with a smile.

This time she gave a real laugh, "Oh yeah. You and your bugs."

"Hey! I can be pretty threatening when I want to-"

"Sure you can," she said, giving him a pat and a kiss.

Hodgins gave an exasperated sigh as his wife left his office. Another glance at the computer screen sent him into a frenzy. Why was that man made lake the only place that he could match up to the evidence? What was he missing? What were they missing? He looked up to see the familiar suit and tie walking towards Brennan's office. With one last glimpse of his computer screen, he jogged towards the FBI agent.

"Booth!"

This caused the other to stop in his tracks, "Don't have time."

"I-I know," Hodgins continued at his heels as Booth walked on, "I just wanted to ask what you found at the lake!"

Booth stopped, "Nothing, we found nothing at the lake."

"Are you sure? Anything that looked suspicious? Were there any types of mosses that I was unaware of?"

"Wouldn't know." Booth nearly snapped.

Hodgins stepped in front of Booth with a hefty sigh, "You have to help me... I-I can't find anything. Just tell me anything you saw that wasn't in the evidence. What could be there. Or at least let me get out there. Take water samples-"

Booth clapped a hand on Hodgins' shoulder, "Find something."

"I wont let you down."

                                                                             .~.

"Any ideas?" He leered.

Christine held her tongue, she wouldn't tell them what they could do. Her parents must be close, they wouldn't be this fidgety if they weren't. What could she do that would keep them from hurting her or Michael. But then again, what could she say without bringing any harm to her friend? With that, Christine began to chew on the inside of her cheek. Her parents wouldn't pay the ransom, no matter how much torture she or Michael was put through. It would just fan the flame of hatred her parents had for her captors.

Christine shook her head.

"You sure? Cause I got a few ideas," his voice turned low and menacing.

She held her breath, not daring to make a sound. She could feel his hot breath on her face, washing over her in a heart sinking stench. All she wanted was to spit in his face, hit him, just get him away from herself, but that would result in punishment. She was too afraid to do anything in his presence. Christine's teeth chattered, causing her captor to chuckle. She squirmed at the sound.

                                                                           .~.

He was hovering again. Brennan could feel him standing over her, watching her work. It didn't bother her, she had gotten used to it long ago. Before they were even married, in fact. She stared at him expectantly, organizing a stack of papers neatly before filing them away for later use. Brennan knew the look on his face, he wanted to talk. She observed how his hands seemed to trade positions, switching between his hips to hanging at his sides.

"Yes?"

"I want to talk."

She nodded, "What about?"

Booth sat down at the edge of her desk, "I wanted to talk about... if we... if we don't find Christine in time."

Brennan stared, her eyes widening a fraction of an inch, "Why would you even... say that?"

"Because, it's a possibility, Brennan." The tone of his voice almost frightened her, especially at the end. He hadn't used her nickname.

"Booth," She began to protest, only to be cut off.

"Please, just- listen," he begged, "I just-"

"No, we will find her. Booth, we'll find our daughter."

Booth rubbed his temples, "Bones-"

Brennan shook her head, "We can't give up. We have to try until the very end."